Tattoos , are they cool or a big problem in Hk???

Closed Thread

Tattoos , are they cool or a big problem in Hk???

Hi everyone, since im not really living in Hk i would like to hear what people who live here,whether locals or expats, have to say about tattoos. I have 2, and im considering doin a new one, but one friend of mine in Hk told me that people might not see me with good eyes and with that, my career opportunities, so that leaves me kinda undecided whether i should do a new one or not, on the other side, i already hv 2 so i cant cut my arm...!!!

Lots of people here have Tatoos. Not sure how it effects employment opportunities, but as far as individual people goes of course some will look at you in a different way. But, of course I feel pretty much any country has people like that.

Lots of local good looking people get tatoos, not sure. I find girls more noticible than guys (maybe I just look more ) Ultra pretty girls always have tatoos either on lower back on lower leg and are normally seen in short skirts and smoking as they walk down the street in MK/Causeway Bay.

I just got my 1st one here in HK - course it's all covered up by my suit in daytime, so a non-issue. Same for my hubby, he can hide his..

Don't know whether it affects hiring decisions - I'd say like anything else it totally depends on the luck of the draw and who you're interviewing with..

Now, on the subject of quality of tat's here - course I didn't know what to expect, but uh, the place I went to was very non-customer servicy, non-attentive - pretty much 'wham-bam' kinda thing... I got a simple design and small, but still would've liked her to take it seriously!

She's biased, but the artist said tat's are almost always accepted by new local generations - as art, nothing else, only some older folks might do a double-take...

Quote Originally Posted by Boneco:
    Hi everyone, since im not really living in Hk i would like to hear what people who live here,whether locals or expats, have to say about tattoos. I have 2, and im considering doin a new one, but one friend of mine in Hk told me that people might not see me with good eyes and with that, my career opportunities, so that leaves me kinda undecided whether i should do a new one or not, on the other side, i already hv 2 so i cant cut my arm...!!!
    In HK its seems tattoo are ever so slightly being accepted (but not widely accepted) as a "fashion style", however there is still bias and prejudice against tattoos. much depends on the size, style and placement/s of the tattoo/s

I think you will find bias against (as compared to the west) tattoos in most Asian countries because many people in organized crime have a long history of wearing tattoos, some inconspicuously and some not.

I was lucky i never decided to have a tattoo, while living in Japan I noticed many signs stating "no tattoo persons allowed".

The first time I thought of having a tattoo was 13 and have since in my life periodically thought of it. The last time was actually & ironically in Japan, I was so impressed with the art of some of the old masters there. These masters usually also tattoo Yakuza (japanese mafia). The tattoos are incredible works of art, but exspensive, long and painful so in the end I just admire them from a distance.

Also to note:
    ~If you should be unlucky to have a tattoo in a cancerous area the ink in your skin will prevent radiation treatment.
    ~As you age the tattoo colors fade and artist quality of the lines fade.
    ~I know of two my fathers friends (ex-navy) that have painfully later in life had their tattoos removed.

In the end depends on your lifestyle, career etc. Still you have to wonder what is that tattoo gonna look like in 15 years ?

Ironically .. the US marines now have severe restrictions on tattoos.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2989075

It comes down to whether or not you can hide it at work. If you can then you will be ok if not I would think seriously about it as it could be a problem.

I don't think it is a problem personally but still that is not waht you are after

Modern Tat's are much better quality than those the old boys used to have done and last much better. There is some fade but not a great deal. I've got a good few tat's, the oldest being way over 15 years old and still looks good (if that's your thing of course).

I can cover all of mine in an office environment so it's never caused me any problems at all. Do not expect much career advancement (or even a career start) with tat's on the lower arms or neck!