View Poll Results: Do you have a dishwasher?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes – Large under counter machine 8-12 place setting

13 15.12%
  • Yes – Small under/over counter 4-6 place settings

11 12.79%
  • No – Helper does it

10 11.63%
  • No – We do it ourselves and don’t see the need for one

30 34.88%
  • No – Would like one but no room in the kitchen

22 25.58%
Like Tree83Likes

Do you have a dishwasher?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    You seem to regard it as axiomatic that this is a good thing.
    It is equally reasonable to argue that no exposure to bacteria means no decent immune system which means a lifetime of misery (allergies, semi-constant illness, etc etc).
    not really - it was just posted to avoid the long discussion about some people think hand washing gives better cleaning results than a dishwasher.
    Last edited by East_coast; 16-04-2011 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    No dishwasher for us. No space in the kitchen and our 2 helpers keep the place very clean.
    HC
    A dishwasher doesn't stick your toothbrush up her bum and share the photos with her mates on Facebook though..

Quote Originally Posted by London2HK:
    sometimes doing stuff the 'good old fashioned way' is better IMO.

I guess you go out hunting with a spear for your meat?
    SalseroHK likes this.

Where did you get your dishwasher--(the automated kind, not the human version)? I miss mine and hate doing them by hand.

We have wanted one all the years we have been in Hong Kong but the kitchen is not big enough. 6 years later when we have bought the place, we have had a second hand (nearly new) drawer dishwasher sitting on the floor for months waiting to be installed.
    Problem is we want to refit the maids room next to the kitchen and build in the washing machine and dryer in here and then install the dishwasher where the washing machine was. Going to fill the room with storage and another benchtop for the slowcooker/pizza oven etc like a real utility room.
    We have no maid and hubbie is away alot so I am really looking forward to having this work done and ending up with a mechanical dishwasher - not me - so I can get some time off. Workman has just been arranged in start in the next week - yippee!

Unbelievable what I read here what people think about a dishwasher..I didnt have one for 4 years and freaking out its stone age and such a waste of time water, gas and electricity! You buy an apartment for x mil and dishwasher is not standart equipment neither is a proper oven but a microwave hanging down your knees! You need to rebuild the kitchens for x thousands to even get the space for it and most of apartments dont even have a maids rooms.. as an expat who prefers to cook my own food its a nightmare without one!! Nobody mentioned the hygenic things about it! doing dishes per hand its not that hygenic you dont get most of the bacteria/viruses away just by using an old dirty peace of sponge..In a ultra modern city where its all about luxus and glamour people dont even have a dishwasher but everything else..A helper does it like its a standart equipment..but there is people without one and if i hire one than definnetelly not for dishes..even you go to the most fancy restaurants here they still have to learn a lot about hygene thats why i prefer to cook at home..Its like winning in lottery almost to find an apartment with a dishwasher!!

SalseroHK likes this.

I guess the developers just need to change their ways and build apartments for the few percent of expats that come here instead of the majority of the population. That makes so much sense... Why can't Hong Kong change for expats instead of them adapting to the lifestyle here?

There we go again..sorry but have a lot of local friends who think the same like me and arent expats and dont want a helper..Buying an apartment or house for 25-30 mil and no dishwasher included???In mainland china its mostly included in a newly buid houses..I thought rasistic comments arent allowed on this forum...So the nice hk chinese which want a dishwasher as a standart should move abroad then???

SalseroHK likes this.

Fair enough, it's not all expats that may want a dishwasher, it's just one ranting here however if there was a real demand, it would be done. It makes no sense to cater to the minority regardless of the price...

Globaltraveler, how many people do you know that are buying homes in the 25-30mill range, and dont have dishwashers? Not sure how many people answering here have homes in that price bracket. The people I know in that range all have dishwashers either there when they moved in or put in later.
    If I was purchasing a home at that end of the market I may think a dishwasher be included but as we are in HKG and a lot of people use their kitchens differently to most expats, I wouldn't automatically expect it.
    We have a largish apartment but a small kitchen - our choice and now we are making the most of it and making it what we want and can fit.
    Whether home in Australia or anywhere else, I still consider a dishwasher a 'luxury' item, not an essential.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast