Like Tree119Likes

Electric Bicycles

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Electric Bicycles

Another topic that's been done I know!

I think it's terrible that electric bicycles are illegal to use in Hong Kong.

I just spoke to the Transport Department and they said there are no plans to change the laws and it is effectively illegal to use one on public roads or on public footpaths.

I asked the guy at the TD whether it would be legal to use and electric bicycle purely by pedal power, ie, with it's engine switched off!! He couldn't answer that!

In the NT we see many electric bikes being used and we even know of one person who has been prosecuted - the fine was 10000HKD for using it on a public road! Generally though, most people say the police do not care or notice. The maximum penalty, by the way, is 20000HKD per offence! The police have no right to seize the machine and the lady offender still rides the same bike to work at a restaurant daily.

Here then I present to you the 'Heinzmann Estelle Sport 10Ah'

Electric Bike Sales - Shop Online for Electric Bikes, Electric Vehicles and Cycle Accessories - Heinzmann Estelle Sport 10Ah

Beautiful isn't she? To look at her you could never tell she is electric!

Now, right or wrong, I'm having one of these shipped over, purely for use on private land of course.

Just wondered if anyone has any opinions, especially on whether or not HK should change it's law. At 10000HKD as a likely penalty, would you risk it?

dear giant and Skyhook like this.

What you are doing is illegal.

You ought to be and probably will be prosecuted.

If you commit this unlawful act, where and when will you stop?

Last edited by luckycat; 29-04-2011 at 04:04 PM.
    dear giant and audiot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    What you are doing is illegal.

You ought to be and probably will be prosecuted.

If you commit this unlawful act, where and when will you stop?
    Yes I know, it started with unlawfully riding an electric bicycle, pretty soon he was crossing roads when there was a red man, taking his 3 and a bit year old son on the LRT without using his Octopus card - it was chaos man, utter chaos!!!
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Yes I know, it started with unlawfully riding an electric bicycle, pretty soon he was crossing roads when there was a red man, taking his 3 and a bit year old son on the LRT without using his Octopus card - it was chaos man, utter chaos!!!
    You are a real bad boy. I am staying well away from you.

That is a swish bike. But for three thousand quid?! Christ. You can buy a cheap run around for that and avoid the acid rain! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    But for three thousand quid?!
    What price the environment luckycat? What price the environment....

Perhaps we can organize a protest outside the Legco? Nothing like some classic rock to change the lawmakers minds! Alternatively, give Li Ka Shing exclusive rights to electric bicycle distribution in HK - that should make it legal pretty quick.

I have to say, that's a beauty. All the others I've seen look like mopeds, you can barely see the motor on this one. Quite tempted to get one myself, how much is shipping to HK? I would definitely risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by vinyljunky:

Perhaps we can organize a protest outside the Legco? Nothing like some classic rock to change the lawmakers minds! Alternatively, give Li Ka Shing exclusive rights to electric bicycle distribution in HK - that should make it legal pretty quick.

I have to say, that's a beauty. All the others I've seen look like mopeds, you can barely see the motor on this one. Quite tempted to get one myself, how much is shipping to HK? I would definitely risk it.
    I'll PM you when I iron out the details. It's pricey to buy but I reckon for me it would pay for itself in a year including getting caught once!! :-)

For the joy of it I'm willing to shell out a bit.

What would be the situation for a power assisted bicycle that only 'assists' when the user pedals and does not operate without someone peddling?

Last edited by East_coast; 29-04-2011 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    What would be the situation for a power assisted bicycle that only 'assists' when the user pedals and does not operate under without someone peddling?
    Well, I asked that too. He says that it would be up to the discretion of the police. Seems like a bit of a fuzzy area really. The bikes in themselves are not illegal. I believe that if you shut off the engine if you saw a policeman it would be quite difficult for them to successfully prosecute you..

The key problem with biking in an urban environment is the constant starting and stopping. A simple regenerative energy system of a bike would be helpful. Probably no need to convert energy into electricity just some simple mechanical recovery system - A big stiff spring!

a-cleansimple-bicycle-regenerative-braking-system

but probably something more compact like a spring in a hub

Last edited by East_coast; 30-04-2011 at 08:16 AM.
    Fenix2 and dear giant like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast