Like Tree1Likes

Living on a boat in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by globaltraveler:
    What are the monthly costs for a 80ft Bondway? I saw one for sale at GC..wondering how much that one is (insurance/maintanance) it looks great but I guess to expensive to run..
    No idea. Berthing would be more expensive but I don't think maintenance would cost any more than a smaller boat. Insurance might be - based on the cost of the boat.

Bear in mind that I have known about half a dozen people who have decided it would be fantastic to live on a boat. MovingIn07 is the only one I know of who stuck it out for more than six months. Some didn't make it to the end of the first week.

Quote Originally Posted by globaltraveler:
    What are the monthly costs for a 80ft Bondway? I saw one for sale at GC..wondering how much that one is (insurance/maintanance) it looks great but I guess to expensive to run..

It's about $16,000/month. I wonder if GC debentures have depreciated. We were told a couple of months ago that a GC debenture was $487,000?!?!? A DB debenture is approx $2.5 million, and boats are holding their value, and some have even appreciated. After looking at both areas (and living in GC), we have decided to go the DB route. We're getting approx 2800 sq. ft for the price of an 800 sq ft. apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by dipper:
    Bear in mind that I have known about half a dozen people who have decided it would be fantastic to live on a boat. MovingIn07 is the only one I know of who stuck it out for more than six months. Some didn't make it to the end of the first week.
    what problems did others face?
    Ps I if you mean in db or on a mooring, both are quite different (in different ways) to gc marina

Quote Originally Posted by LolaG:
    It's about $16,000/month. I wonder if GC debentures have depreciated. We were told a couple of months ago that a GC debenture was $487,000?!?!? A DB debenture is approx $2.5 million, and boats are holding their value, and some have even appreciated. After looking at both areas (and living in GC), we have decided to go the DB route. We're getting approx 2800 sq. ft for the price of an 800 sq ft. apartment.
    we were quoted 200k for the gc debenture 3.5 yrs ago.

Would be very interesting to know dipper..we are considering the boat option for the moment..I only know some people in GC Marina who lived there for many years and still love it..It would be interesting to know the contras..

I only make the point that it works for some people and not for others, so it's worth considering the options before sinking your life savings into a boat, and most importantly making sure that the other people involved are genuinely as enthusiastic about it as you are.

I have only had the experience of knowing a few people proudly telling everyone that they were going to live a glamorous lifestyle living on a boat only for them to cough and look a bit sheepish when asked later how it went. On a couple of occasions it has been the spouse/girlfriends/kids who were not as enamoured of the idea in reality. That said, knowing the characters I hang out with they were probably trying to do it on the cheap and were actually living in a canoe.

just curious... how does waste management thing works living on a boat (ie talking about flushing the toilet stuff, and the water from the faucet)... where does it drain into?