Like Tree1Likes

Summer Camps outside of Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Summer Camps outside of Hong Kong

We're Americans living in Hong Kong. I want to send my 16 year old boy to camp / volunteer activity during the summer, but preferably not in Hong Kong, for a few weeks, and Christian, but anything good will do.

I just remember all the great summer camps I went to back in the states and I want my kids to have a similar experience. But I can't afford to send them home, so looking for something in SE Asia, and on the cheaper end. Like a youth volunteer camp in Thailand or something...

Any ideas?

Buy him an X-Box

Sorry, please ignore my above post - I think I've got Geoexpat tourettes or something sometimes..

Does you son speak Chinese? I ask because I know some Christians who do mission work with kindergarten children in Guangdong, could be interesting and not too far away if there's any problems..

Look into Outward bound:

In Hong Kong : Outward Bound Hong Kong
    In Malaysia : Outward Bound® Malaysia
    and there are many more even further away...

You can also contact YMCA who usually have 1 or 2 foreign trips going.

hC

bryant.english likes this.

I want him OFF the xbox. Yes, I'm looking at church missions trips too. But most of those are only for one week. He's got 7 weeks off. Oh, and he only speaks English.

Understand, I don't want him gone for 7 weeks, but something more significant than a week. He's a resilient kid.

Hmm, let me speak to my church friends and see what's happening.. in the meantime quarterly programme

Thanks Howard, but YMCA is all local and for much younger children.

Do not send your kid to mainland China. Although efforts will be made to convince you he is going to do charity work and it will be fun, more likely he will be trapped doing almost slave labor for the Chinese as payback for the opium wars. He will forever resent you for sending him there,a nd somehow, some Chinese will profit from it.

I dont know the definition of "all local" but I can tell you that YMCA courses are all bilingual and most of the time they are in English.

As for age groups, you are mistaken there as well. YMCA offers courses and outings for a very wide group of people. At the low end 4-5 years old and no limit at the upper end. Its best if you call YMCA directly and ask. I'm certain they will give you the correct information.

HC

Ha! That's hilarious! I took both him and his brother all across China from Beijing, Xining, Urumqi and Kashir for 3 weeks when they were both under 10, in 2002. Great time, but yes, I'd never send him alone to China, only to an outfit I knew personally.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast