Like Tree6Likes

taking Phillipino helper to United States

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

taking Phillipino helper to United States

Hi-

I am having a hard time finding recent information on taking a Phillipino helper to the United States and wondering if it's even worth my time. Myself and my family are all United States citizens and we plan to vacation in the States during the holidays. We would like to take our dh with us and understand that we have to employ her to US laws. I'm concerned about the "ties" she has to come back with us and if that will affect our approval. She is in her late 20's, is engaged (to someone in the phillipines) and has no children. Will that mean they will deny her bc she doesn't have "ties"?
    Thanks in advance for any feedback!

After 1987 they have been referred to as Filipinos. Or Pinay colloquially for females. Sorry can't help you though.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I haven't heard of anyone's helper successfully apply for a US visa to work there temporarily. All the families had to go through their holidays "on their own" except one whose helper (with them some 11 years) managed to get a tourist visa... however, they were "on their own" shortly after landing.

Edit: Sorry, just remembered the incident above was in Canada, not the US.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 05-05-2011 at 11:59 AM.

For starters, you can try gathering these documents as I'm pretty sure they might come in handy: -

1. Your Itinerary. Basically they need information like where you're going, how long are you going for, where are you going to stay etc. Since you're an American, it wouldn't matter for you however it could help your DH since she'll be travel with you and assuming she's going to be with you during the whole trip.

2. Income proof or any sort of asset. This is just to show your capacity in sponsoring your DH to go with you.

3. A letter letting them know that you will be shouldering all the expenses which includes: Your DH's return ticket, her accommodations, food expenses and any other miscellaneous expenses rendered during your stay.

4. A guarantee letter stating that you will take full responsibility for your DH and that won't overstay or live in the US. Also state that she'll be coming back to HK once the vacation is over.

The rest is up to the US embassy if they need additional information or documentation from you. Try it out and good luck with the process (If you plan to go ahead with it)

there is no legal way of doing it. the best you can do is take the dh on a tourist visa which is still illegal.

We are in a similar situation and have been looking into this as well. Unfortunately there have been very little discussions from folk that have actually gone through with this process. From the US Consulate website and my understanding from others I believe there are a few factors they would consider:

1. The helper's ties with HK and her home country (relatives, assets etc.);
    2. The helper's ties with the US;
    3. The helper's age and marital status (Being single female 20+ with no children hurts the chance I think).
    4. How long has the helper been with the current employer;
    5. Whether the employers are US nationals/residents (I get the impression being US employers possibly hurt rather than help the chance of approval).

And yes you will need to pay your helper the US wage (3-4 times the amount here) and abide by US labor law (40-hour week with OT, if any, paid). Also provide free room and board and round trip tickets. As US employers you may also need to consider domestic household employment taxes.

Last edited by paenme; 05-05-2011 at 12:34 PM.

thanks everyone. This is sounding like quite a headache and then to not even know if she'll run away. I read all these stories of helpers that have been with the same family for ages and then just disappeared once they landed.

U should chk geobaby website and u will probably find more details

Quote Originally Posted by kpelszyn:
    I read all these stories of helpers that have been with the same family for ages and then just disappeared once they landed.
    Very true. Best to make sure that it is worth taking your DH with you guys, don't want her to just bugger off while you're asleep

Just shackle her to her bed every night.

JOKING

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast