Supermarket/plastic bag rant

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Supermarket/plastic bag rant

I went to Wellcome after work, spent a good deal of time filling a cart with groceries and proceeded to the cashier. I was told that today is "no plastic bags day" and when I replied that there was no way I could carry all my groceries home, the cashier advised that I could purchase bags for 50 cents each.

The last time I had the misfortune of shopping on "no plastic bags day" at a Park & Shop, I agreed to pay for the bags. The cashier must have been trying to save me money and stuffed 2-3 bags worth of groceries into one bag, causing the bag to tear open as I was walking home. Today I was feeling particularly irritable, told them I didn't want the groceries any more and walked out.

I'm all for being environmentally friendly, but this particular initiative is inane and annoying. Why is one particular day arbitrarily designated for this cause? Why isn't there a sign to notify customers at the entrance, so that they aren't surprised at checkout? Why don't they offer paper bags? What's more, I NEED plastic bags. I reuse them to throw out the trash, to clean up after my dog.

Worst of all, it's a little hard to buy this sudden concern for the environment from the supermarket chained owned by the same people behind the dirtiest power company in HK and so many thermally inefficient buildings.

I believe they announce it on the air. I have heard it several times myself. But FYI, this is on every Tuesday and if I am correct takes place in other stores besides Wellcome. Though a sign would be nice too I suppose.

While I can completely understand your beef with the principle of it, I personally feel .5 HKD a bag is really not a big deal at all. It is such a small sum. In Canada, many large supermarkets charge for plastic bags EVERYDAY that costs 3 times the equivalent cost. At some stores you can't even get bags. You have to use boxes. So I suppose, the point is not to sweat the small stuff. I am sure you have bigger things to deal with.

Worst of all, it's a little hard to buy this sudden concern for the environment from the supermarket chained owned by the same people behind the dirtiest power company in HK and so many thermally inefficient buildings.
    Dairy Farm?? Uhhh ok...

Anyways there are signs in store, first tuesday of every month etc. Pretty sad you weren't happy to donate a few Hong Kong dollars out of your thick wallet towards the enviroment. They aren't taking the money as profit.

just a question....if you dont get plastic bags from the supermarket, what do you use to throw away your garbage in at home?My apartment block has strict rules about making sure rubbish is in bags before being thrown into their bins...so for people who dont get bags from the supermarket what do you use??

I hate the hypocrisy of one day having five items put into 3 bags and the next no bags as were trying to save enviroment At both welcome and p&s have had to ask to pack my own bag which has led to growls from assistants, who seem to think your being a pain if your helpful.

On those Tuesdays could leave poo where it is after all it is biodegradable (I am joking before flames appear).

Last edited by plasticdog; 25-04-2007 at 12:13 PM.

>> My apartment block has strict rules about making sure
    >> rubbish is in bags before being thrown into their bins

Our building management gives us a load of bags every month to use for the disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by HKChigger:
    Dairy Farm?? Uhhh ok...

Anyways there are signs in store, first tuesday of every month etc. Pretty sad you weren't happy to donate a few Hong Kong dollars out of your thick wallet towards the enviroment. They aren't taking the money as profit.
    I was referring to Park & Shop, which has the same sort of periodic campaign. I do my share for the environment--I recycle, I've gone vegetarian, I conserve electricity. But I draw the line at paying 50 cents on an arbitrary day for plastic bags that I'm in need of anyway. It's absurd that they have this policy one day, while the next day the same cashier will attempt to bag my bottle of water and chewing gum.

It is kind of like a hypocrisy isn't it?
    But if you think about it, being environmental on one day sure beats not being environmental at all. They have yielded some really good reduction of plastic bag waste. And also awareness of their campaign to get people to bring their own reusable bags. I think it is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by c1000:
    I was referring to Park & Shop, which has the same sort of periodic campaign. I do my share for the environment--I recycle, I've gone vegetarian, I conserve electricity. But I draw the line at paying 50 cents on an arbitrary day for plastic bags that I'm in need of anyway. It's absurd that they have this policy one day, while the next day the same cashier will attempt to bag my bottle of water and chewing gum.
    I thought you meant Wellcome, sorry.
    Last edited by HKChigger; 25-04-2007 at 08:45 PM.

stop being so tight its only 50 cents at the end of the day.

Oh and guess what, if you want to do your bit for the environment then get a reuseable bag so you're actually prepared next time.

Not exactly rocket science is it?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast