Police harassment

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Kowloon West / America's Finest City (San Diego, CA)
    Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    I've only been searched once, and that was when I was in a large group of guys in LKF. We ALL got searched. All my friends were ABCs and had never been stopped and searched before. They created a real stink. One of 'em was like "I'M GOING TO CONTACT THE US CONSULATE!" I told him to relax.

haha I remember that night man! lol...

I get asked for my ID on occasions too but I am usually on my way once I just bust out the Cali license... its just a hassle getting stopped!

One doubt. is HKID enough or we need to carry passport also every time..

I think it's a bad idea to keep your respective passport on you at all times. Just keep you respective country's drivers license/ ID and you're set.

I've been stopped before too and the cop asked for my HKID, I provided my Illinois Drivers' License. he asked me what I do, and I could have told him pretty much anything short of f#$ck off and he would have no clue.

I think it's a luck of the draw thing, If you like how you look, don't start looking like a local just to blend in the crowd.

BTW, I believe if you're ANY asian male in your 20's anywhere in the world, you're pretty much profiled now.

Quote Originally Posted by funnie:

Quote Originally Posted by funnie:
    Well legally you need your HKID card, if you don't have an ID card legally you need to have your passport on you. The rest is up to you.

You can also carry a Xerox copy of your ID, or so I hear. I know someone who's lost their ID card uncountable times. I don't know how he does it...

been here 12 years and never been stopped. i'm a white woman now in her mid-30s.

hubby, born and raised here and he says he's been stopped dozens of times in his life. even now that he's 40 (looks about 30) and always fashionably dressed (not mong kok fashion either!).

Yeah triad bosses dress good too :-)

There are two ways to file a complaint

Although, HKSAR police have every right to stop anyone and ask for identification but if you can site the dates, time and places of when you have been stop with at least the officers badge numbers - which by law they are to give you. You can build a case of discrimination/harassment.

There are two ways to file a complaint:

1. Directly file a complaint at: Complaint Against Police Office, G/F, Annex Block, Caine House, No.3 Arsenal Street, Wanchai, Hong Kong
    Hotline: 2866 7700 2200 4460-2

2. File a complaint at: Race Relations Unit, Home Affairs Bureau, 31/F, Southorn Centre, 130 Hennessy Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong (Fax number: (852) 2121 1716); or By calling our enquiry : (852) 2835 1579, e-mail: [email protected]

I know the the Race Relations Unit has been working for more than 5 years to compile and maintain data on all types of discrimination/harassment in Hong Kong.

Last edited by Alby; 30-04-2007 at 07:39 PM. Reason: forgot a word

Quote Originally Posted by Alby:
    I know the the Race Relations Unit has been working for more than 5 years to compile and maintain data on all types of discrimination/harassment in Hong Kong.

But my question is how successful is a case going to be when it is one person of Chinese race saying different police all over the country of the Chinese race are checking them?

Hollyer ,
    Thank god HK Police only check your bag and ID .Myan we Nepalese are literally made naked everytime we are stopped .Once I was stopped near SOHO at about 9 pm with some of my friends .The policemen took off my jacket shirt and one of 'em actually wore surgical globes and stuck his finger up my arse ."I got angry and said "What the hell are you doing ?.He replied "I know you Nepalese hide Marijuana in between your buttocks .If you dont believe me tell them you are Nepalese next time they stop you and you will know what actual 'random' discrimination is .