Tailor-made?

Closed Thread

Question Tailor-made?

I'm moving over with a wardrobe that's less than professional. I've heard that HK has some amazing tailors who can make suits for a relatively inexpensive rate. Granted, I'm more interested in lasting quality, than a really cheap bargain (but of course, both would be nice!)
    Any great recommendations of a tailor that you've used? I promise not to steal her away, just borrow her for a few fashion emergencies in October/November. Thanks!

I use Danny Cheung at Elegant Custom Tailors in the mall attached to the Kowloon Hotel on Nathan Road. Firstr encountered him when he was based at the Sheraton.

Prices are reasonable, and the quality good - the fabrics top notch and I feel I can trust him. That is big becuase there are some surprising tricks in the tailoring biz. He does both men and women's clothes and has made a suit, some slacks and blouses for my daughter.

If you are new to tailor mades, it is good to do a little research. And know that the price will vary with fabrics - significantly. In North America, my tailor mades which were generally thought by colleagues to be top notch were of a lesser fabric than I now buy...there's no going back! The price is about 30% what I have paid in Canada.

Feel free to pm me if you want more details.

Cheers,
    JJ

I hear that it's even cheaper (and better) in Shengzhen, though if you bring your own fabric/material, it works out better.

Basically, what you should do is get a really well-done suit done (or bring one over), then bring that suit over for them to use as a template.

I have folders of magazine ads and ripouts to show a tailor (there are so many recommendations) when I go over for about 4 months.

Is it good to do some shopping around, and then choose one in the first few weeks I am there, then maybe get a discount because I can them take 1 or 2 months to make it including fittings etc... I really have lots of time (studying there until January 2005). I plan on getting some(2/3?) suits made and some (5-10) button down/woven shirts brought-in/altered.

Do most tailors just want to make new things or will they take clothes I have and alter them?

The tailors, by and large, will take the business you want give them. Got a great deal on some linen pants at Sogo last weekend ($250 HKD!) and took them to my tailor for hemming. He agreed I got them for less than the price of the fabric. (Mind you, he sells a better quality linen--the pants are very casual linen perfect for just bumming around.)

Learn about fabrics...a standard trick seems to be slipping in a fabrc change between your selection and the final delivery.

Cheers-
    J

fabric change?

What do you mean by a fabric change? That they'd swap out the nice fabric provided for a cheaper alternative? If so, that's shady business.

Welcome to Hong Kong!

Reputable tailors will cut a small swatch of the cloth you select and attach it to the receipt that they give you when you pay your deposit. That way you can compare the fabric against the finished product.

So might it be a good idea in some instance to buy clothes off the shel fin some department store or such and then just take them to tailor to get altered (i.e. provide own shaped and cut fabric) versus buying fabric and making it from scratch and more fittings?