Elevator button rant

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hmm - I have to admit, if I don't see / hear someone heading for the elevator doors within 1.5 seconds of the door opening - I am hitting the close door button. It comes from being on the 31st floor and having to stop at each of the 11 floors below it. Just be quicker guys!

I too have got into the habit of hitting the close button but for me it's the satisfaction of "getting my own back". And as they say, "when in Rome ...".

what really gets me are the people who dive through the doors as they are closing like Tom Cruise from Mission Impossible and so force the doors open again which the next lot of people take as their cue to make a sprint for the lift and so the whole process get repeated til the lift is full. I'm on 50 at IFC2 and this always happens at the floor where you change lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by steviem71:
    what really gets me are the people who dive through the doors as they are closing like Tom Cruise from Mission Impossible and so force the doors open again which the next lot of people take as their cue to make a sprint for the lift and so the whole process get repeated til the lift is full. I'm on 50 at IFC2 and this always happens at the floor where you change lifts.
    Ahh yes, you can make a pretty entertaining documentary on sociology of elevator use in HK just by placing cameras on IFC2's elevator changing floors. I just have to stand back and laugh sometimes, it's just too funny. If you let these things piss you off, it will be a very long day.

One of my other favorite observations, besides all the ones mentioned earlier, are the people who begin running out of the MTR to be the first onto the station escalator.....Too funny.
    Last edited by climber07; 27-04-2007 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by climber07:
    One of my other favorite observations, besides all the ones mentioned earlier, are the people who begin running out of the MTR to be the first onto the station escalator.....Too funny.
    And when they get on that escalator they don't seem to be in a hurry anymore and just stand. It's as if the rush of being first was enough to make their day.

The new immigrants are usually the worst - newly arrived gweilos don't know that they should be careful at the doors and recently moved-in mainlanders have too much of their eat-or-become-eaten habits printed to their nerve system - hence the need for instructions that look they're for 3-year olds.

It's mainly the lift buttons and exiting ANYTHING that the crowds grow wild.

It is very odd.

I always get a good chuckle when you're standing patiently waiting for the lift with 5 other people when one guy (usually a courier who you would expect to know better) barges through and presses the call button repeatedly as if none of us had the foresight to try that!
    I hate it when you're approaching an elevator with only one person in at and they stand staring at you wihout making the efforet to open the door for you. I have adopted Disco's 'When in Rome..' mentality on that one now!
    While we're on it....I also hate it when you're going up and the lift stops and someone is standing there and asks, 'up or down?'. They have obviously pressed both buttons on the off chance that the lift has confused itself and may be in a bit of a quandary about whether it is going up or down! I have actually stepped out of the lift on a bad day and lectured the fool on the finer points of pressing 'down' for down and 'up for up. Angry gwailo indeed!

That reminds me of the times I've seen people pressing the down button because they wanted the lift to come down to them - ha ha ha!

Yes, but why do they do it?
    Sort of like rushing off the MTR to be first on the escalator and then standing on it, nobody seems to be in a hurry to get off the elevator and run somewhere.
    Do they think they are saving seconds, which--over the course of a lifetime--will add meaningful minutes to their free time?
    The feeling that he/she is the only person on earth?
    The dog episode would have ticked me off; also not happy if I am carrying the baby and the doors slam on my shoulders.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast