Elevator button rant

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by climber07:
    Perhaps you're right, but do you really think that the newly arrived "gweilos" don't realise that they have to "Mind the Gap"??? Believe it or not, there are subways in Europe, America & Australia.

It's probably more likely that many locals got themeslved killed trying to force themselves into the closing MTR doors, rather than "unimaginable" 2 minute wait for the next one! Luckily, there is a second set of doors these days and a glass barrier.

Even is the signs are for mainland immigrants, I still enjoy them:
    I don't know, but is this really a Hong Kong/Asia issue? Examples of similarly inane signs or instructions can be found all over the world ? just off the top of my head:
    - Warning labels about coffee being hot in the US
    - Signs in Europe instructing you not to park in No Parking zones
    - Again in Europe, instructions for intercom in (fittingly) an elevator: 1. Push button 2. Talk (Really? Not the other way around? Fooled me there...)
    Last edited by beachball; 27-04-2007 at 02:23 PM.

Beachball, you ever heard Bill Engvall's "here's your sign"?

"do you know on a tube of preparation H it says 'do not take this orally'...you know someone wrote them a letter"

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL
    i was just at da canton fair and their subway has more signs than i've ever seen in hk. like no swinging, no climbing da bars, no running thru the trains, no sleeping on da seats.. i should have taken a pic.
    they dont make new rules if ppl dont do stuff like that in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by beafan:
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOL
    i was just at da canton fair and their subway has more signs than i've ever seen in hk. like no swinging, no climbing da bars, no running thru the trains, no sleeping on da seats.. i should have taken a pic.
    they dont make new rules if ppl dont do stuff like that in the first place
    More or less same rules posted in NYC subway and London tube...

I find that this useless stress thing goes in most parts of daily life here in Hong Kong. With the irony that the more people seem to stress, the slower things seem to happen...

Just the other day I was buying some stuff at a store and had picked one thing out, the shop-owner immediately took the thing right from my hand and blurts out; twentyfourdollarsthankyoubyebye, without a thought about the fact that I might actually be interested in buying something else, which I in fact was going to, but didn't bother after the great service I received.

Even more unbelievable there was no one else in the shop, so no one was waiting for her service, good work!

Quote Originally Posted by beachball:
    More or less same rules posted in NYC subway and London tube...
    I agree. There are stupid signs and rules posted all over the world (as someone mentioned earlier, I think there are even several books with the funniest signs).

However, there are certain signs in Hong Kong in my opinion which I think partially speak to the HK culture and the differences of what are perceived as social decencies.

For example, there is a sign in the MTR train cars which reads: "Show you have a kind heart, give your seat to those in need". Nothing gets my blood boiling is when I see an elderly person or a pregnant woman trying to hold on in a crowded train and some 18-25yr olds are seating comfortably in those seats. (I do have to admit that I've seen people give up seat on a few occassions and that's always a pleasant surprize). Unfortunately, more often then not, those "in need" are left standing.

Another example is the "Please do not push the crowd" sign by the Cultural Centre on the Kowloon Side. I'll never forget the experience of trying to board the Peak Tram when we had a friend in town. Only to find ourselves carried by the crowd. This old man (who had to be in his 70's), was pushing me in the back with his walking stick trying to shove me onto the Tram like cattle. If i had a chance of letting him go in front of me I would have, but I was jammed from every direction.

Coming from U.S. (and considered one of the RUDEST places on the planet) I don't feel half bad in Hong Kong. I still let women (on/off the elevators first), hold the door open for people behind me (although I did get stuck as a door man on several occassions), give up my seat to thos in need, don't spit in public and think its a bit rude and disgusting to pick your teeth at the dinner table.... but oh well....that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by climber07:

Coming from U.S. (and considered one of the RUDEST places on the planet) I don't feel half bad in Hong Kong. I still let women (on/off the elevators first), hold the door open for people behind me (although I did get stuck as a door man on several occassions), give up my seat to thos in need, don't spit in public and think its a bit rude and disgusting to pick your teeth at the dinner table.... but oh well....that's just me.
    Heh, agree with you on all points, apart from the last!!

I often let others on/off lifts before me and hold doors etc. Sometimes I get bemused / indifferent looks but it seems now more often than not I actually get some acknowledgement.

yup. or like dont put ur feet on the seats across sign in buses? and then they have these cute little stock photos?

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Man, people have WAY too much time on their hands to be moaning about this!!

I have adopted the policy that if someone is running for the elavator i will keep it open to let them in, regardless of how many people in the elavator it annoys.
    Golf clap.

Quote Originally Posted by sylvesterjay:
    "do you know on a tube of preparation H it says 'do not take this orally'...you know someone wrote them a letter"
    Or the Tiramisu in a UK supermarket which had a sticker on the bottom which said, 'Do Not Turn Upside Down'.