Like Tree11Likes

Bag left in taxi - any ideas?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Not so happy ending for me. iPhone fell out of my pocket and didn't realize it until about 10 minutes later. Called the "taxi company" to report it (unfortunately didn't remember the drivers name), and the person on the other end wanted to know if there would be a reward. We said, "whatever $300?" Never got a call back. Driver (or the next passenger) probably figured they could get a couple thousand for it. Asshole(s).

That's another thing that puts me off buying an iPhone. I'd be forever worried about losing it..

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    That's another thing that puts me off buying an iPhone. I'd be forever worried about losing it..
    I just have a password so it is not much use - but then again I guess someone would be able to crack it - don't know about that.

Original Post Deleted
    You mean back to factory settings but with all personal data intact or wiped?

Backup your iPhone contact and data often. If you have an email via ActiveSync, do a remote wipe to delete the device data. This can be done only if the iPhone still has internet connection.

One time I went with my family to Macau. My sister and her husband forgot their backpack in the taxi when she got out at the harbour. Everything in there: passports, money, camera etc etc. Of course, she was panicking pretty bad. Trying to call taxi companies etc. 10 mins later, the taxi driver returned. Gave back the back and did not want to take the money my sis offered. I was so damn impressed. It doesn't happen often like that!
    Since then I made it a habit to ALWAYS look on the seats before I shut the door when I get out of taxi (and other transportation)

@DaChief My girlfriend has gotten lucky a couple times. Left her iPhone in Hard Rock Macau Hotel restaurant and someone there called my phone to tell me they had it; she doesn't set a password! Another time she left it in a clothing store in SOHO. Same thing, she got it back. I'm just hoping karma catches up with person that has my phone (or I run into them).

As several people stated earlier, I store everything (photos, contacts, mail, etc.) on Googles server for security/redundancy. My music is on my phone, but all that is backed up. I wished I would have setup the Track My iPhone program to track and/or wipe my iPhone, but by the 3rd time I tried calling my iPhone (hoping someone would answer) it was going straight to voicemail anyway (ie: they pulled the SIM card).

Well, thanks for listening to my rant y'all!

Last edited by huntermaclean; 30-05-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    Well luckily, cracking the encryption key isn't something that the odd thief or opportunistic taxi driver is going to figure out. So it seems I don't have to worry much about stolen data... yet.

Those raunchy photos of me and Michelle Reis mustn't fall into the wrong hands!
    Last edited by ICEBreaker; 30-05-2011 at 11:34 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4