Quickie civil wedding

Closed Thread

Quickie civil wedding

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Civil Celebrant who could manage the bureaucracy and administer the legal ceremony for a quickie wedding in Hong Kong? I know the requirement for 15 days clear notice and all that, but I'm looking for someone (a solicitor presumably) who can just manage the whole thing with the least fuss and just doing whatever is legally required to get the marriage certificate. No fancy ceremony or any of that (we'll do that separately later) - just the bare legal minimum.

I used Vidler and co. Very friendly, no fuss and they handled everything. Got married in his office in Wan Chai.

hullexile,

I see a Michael John Vidler with offices in Wanchai listed on the government website, I assume this is the same guy. Do you mind if I ask what he charged?

Cheers,
    Drew

In the end I've ended up going with Don Vong of Vongs. http://www.vongs.hk/Services/Civil_Celebrant.htm
    That page quotes a price of $6988 if you want the Celebrant to attend a ceremony for up to an hour. But if you just want the legal bare bones (they manage the application for a licence and perform the legal minimum ceremony in their offices) then the price I agreed with him is $3800 for a simple case where neither the bride nor groom has been married previously.

Quote Originally Posted by drewchilders:
    hullexile,

I see a Michael John Vidler with offices in Wanchai listed on the government website, I assume this is the same guy. Do you mind if I ask what he charged?

Cheers,
    Drew
    He charged me 5000. Just basic with the wedding in the office, but very friendly. I was divorced but I can't see that putting much on the price. He did say when I first contacted him that he did not usually do weddings so I don't know if he wants lots. Ask him though, I would recommend him.

Groom and hullexile,

Thanks for both of your comments. My accounting supervisor was married late last year and her guy only charged HKD3000 to do the ceremony at her wedding banquet, but she also said he wasn't very organized and screwed up the ceremony so she doesn't recommend him.

Cheers,
    Drew

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I used Vidler and co. Very friendly, no fuss and they handled everything. Got married in his office in Wan Chai.
    hi! iam also interested to vidler and co., how can i get in touch with them? what are they requirements? my fiancee and i are from the philippines, could they help us? thanks

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Civil wedding
    who could manage the whole thing.. we are both from the philippines, and we wanted to get married in hongkong in less fuss.. does anyone help us? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edriel:
    hi! iam also interested to vidler and co., how can i get in touch with them? what are they requirements? my fiancee and i are from the philippines, could they help us? thanks
    Sorry can't remember any contact details but I am sure they will be on the internet. There are hundreds of civil celebrants listed who can perform the wedding for you.