Like Tree1Likes

Recycling e-Waste

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recycling e-Waste

Dear forum members,

I have loads of computer parts that I need to throw away. Being told that e-waste is toxic, I don't feel like just chucking it into the landfill with the usual trash. I looked at the government website and found some e-waste collection points.

https://www.wastereduction.gov.hk/en...ion_points.htm

Has anyone had any experience with dealing with e-waste? They are quite heavy. Where to get rid of them? Was the place convenient, and did they accept all waste? I don't want them to pick and choose, and I have to lug half of the stuff back home.

How do you get rid of batteries? I have heaps of these.

Thanks for any comments and advice you might have!

You speak Chinese? Recyclers pays about 50$ for a whole computer. Parts negotiable.

Quote Originally Posted by ICEBreaker:
    How do you get rid of batteries?
    Alkaline batteries don't generally get recycled (anywhere that I know of) - they're pretty much inert environmentally and not big space consumers and not much recyclable content so they go in the landfill. Rechargeable batteries are covered on the waste reduction site.

Please consider re-using by selling or giving them away. Recycling is a very bad thing to do in my opinion. Watch this The Story of Stuff

Ttry and prolong the usage of anything you buy by selling it or giving it to some who will NOT recycle them.

If they were servers or stuff you can sell to a business, I would ask you to upload them to our site, HEX - Hardware Exchange

As they are part for home users, the administrative cost in providing a warranty when we sell them is too high and does not make it profitable. So find a 2nd hand computer shop and give them them to them, let them resell them.

Last edited by Fenix2; 31-05-2011 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Alkaline batteries don't generally get recycled (anywhere that I know of) - they're pretty much inert environmentally and not big space consumers and not much recyclable content so they go in the landfill. Rechargeable batteries are covered on the waste reduction site.
    There are boxes around the MTR stations that collect batteries. Just collect them and dump them all in when you have a bunch

Quote Originally Posted by ICEBreaker:
    I looked at the government website and found some e-waste collection points.

Has anyone had any experience with dealing with e-waste? They are quite heavy.....
    https://www.wastereduction.gov.hk/en...ce/crp_faq.htm

When I did it last they came and collected. Your building (residential or commercial) may also organise a regular collection day if they liase with the programme.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix2:
    Please consider re-using by selling or giving them away. Recycling is a very bad thing to do in my opinion. Watch this The Story of Stuff

Try and prolong the usage of anything you buy by selling it or giving it to some who will NOT recycle them.
    On the collection scheme they sort the collected gear and anything that is usable is given to charities and used. They do apparently recycle things that are unusable though.

Thank you everyone for your excellent comments. With regards to alkaline batteries, I should just throw these into the trash? Are the MTR sites for rechargeable only? Thanks PDLM.

The thing is, I am not getting rid of whole computers. I always keep the computer case. I also upgrade the motherboard, CPU, RAM and graphics card at a different rate than hard disks. CD/DVD/BR is another thing altogether. So I end up with bits and pieces. That's why I was thinking of takin it to those government collection sites and wanted to see if anyone else had experience with them. Any other comments and suggestions are also welcomed.

Last edited by ICEBreaker; 31-05-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzdang:
    There are boxes around the MTR stations that collect batteries. Just collect them and dump them all in when you have a bunch
    Anyone else seen these? I see lots of three-colour bins for paper, cans & plastic, but not batteries, and certainly not non-rechargeable batteries. I can find no reference to them on the MTR website either.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Anyone else seen these? I see lots of three-colour bins for paper, cans & plastic, but not batteries, and certainly not non-rechargeable batteries. I can find no reference to them on the MTR website either.
    I believe - and i could be dead wrong - they are not available at all MTR stations? I read that Admiralty should have this facility but I have never seem it.

MTR website sucks big time after their huge revamp. Their Corporate Communications / Marketing or whatever relevant department keeps churning our corporate image crap and ignores what 99% of the public wants when they go there: FAST FACTUAL INFORMATION such as train schedules and time tables, internal station maps etc. The information is available but you need to spend 5 mins hunting for it or use Google.

yes, they are in the MTR stations, along with alot of other locations..rechargeable batteries only

https://www.wastereduction.gov.hk/en...htm#collection

Last edited by anothercanuck; 01-06-2011 at 10:15 AM.
    PDLM likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast