Like Tree15Likes

Durians!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Durians!

Are they available according to the season? Or are they going to be present all year around? It seems that whenever I go to the supermarket the stench is there. I'm sure when we first got here in February they weren't around - or am I mistaken?

Funny you should mention the durian stench. When I first moved to HK, I was walking in Causeway Bay and passed by a Wellcome and was hit with the durian smell. On the same block, I walked by a construction site with an exposed sewer. I couldn't decide which was worse.

You're in Asia. You are going to smell things that will (at first) make you wretch. I find that the dried fish stalls are particularly bad. Some smells you will never get used to. That's just how it is. In fact, when I had training on how to adjust to local culture, we actually discussed "foreign odors." LOL.

You might want to carry around a small container of Menthelatum or Tiger Balm and apply a bit under your nose for such outings to the market. I learned this strategy when I was riding a "chicken bus" in Laos a decade ago. Someone had dried fish in the bus and it was blazing hot. It was touch and go holding down my breakfast but fortunately, a kind passenger passed me a jar of Tiger Balm and gestured to put some under my nose. That saved the day.

Last edited by huja; 04-06-2011 at 06:25 PM.

It's just nauseating isn't it? please tell me they will disappear after a while...?

What's hardest on the senses in HK's Summer heat and humidity? Sewer smell, ripe durians, hot fried stinky tofu, dried salted fish, or the sour funky ass smell people have (Staph Infection)?

dear giant likes this.

I've not yet experienced a HK summer! Not exactly relishing it, I already suffer passing through some parts of Sheung Wan, where the dried fish is....

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    It's just nauseating isn't it? please tell me they will disappear after a while...?
    Not at all! The smell is lovely and the seasons just started so you'll have a few more months yet!

Something that looks as dangerous as that and smells as bad as that should be nowhere near living creatures

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Something that looks as dangerous as that and smells as bad as that should be nowhere near living creatures
    Could say the same thing about some of the posters on
    this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    I've not yet experienced a HK summer! Not exactly relishing it, I already suffer passing through some parts of Sheung Wan, where the dried fish is....
    lol. wait till you get on the MTR at 7PM on a hot summer day when all of the business men have been stewing in their suits all day....*retch*
    dear giant likes this.

The stinky tofu stall at the end of gold fish market, now thats a killer, i can stand the smell of Durian, have tried it and nearly vomited but the smell of stinky tofu, wouldnt even try it even if you paid me. My misses eats both durian and stinky tofu being a local but no way in my car.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast