Like Tree1Likes

Cigar and Pipe Smokers?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cigar and Pipe Smokers?

I don't smoke a lot, but I do enjoy a good Cuban every week and good English blends out of my meerschaum every couple of days. Just bought my first humidor (an older American-made Reed & Barton) and my first Savinelli's on the way. Any other cigar/pipe aficionados out there? Would love to talk tobacco/trade cigars/pipe tobacco.

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 05-06-2011 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    I don't smoke a lot, but I do enjoy a good Cuban every week and good English blends out of my meerschaum every couple of days. Just bought my first humidor (an older American-made Reed & Barton) and my first Savinelli's on the way. Any other cigar/pipe aficionados out there? Would love to talk tobacco/trade cigars/pipe tobacco.

I smoke one cigar a day. Thompson Cigars (Cigars - Shop Quality Cigars - Thompson Cigar) gives its customers pretty good deals; don't know if they'll ship overseas.

Hi Tommy! Thompson have been around forever. I remember seeing their ads in magazines when I was a kid. Which of their cigars do you like best?

I do have a source for Arturo Fuente/Ashton/Padron, but I tend to smoke more Cubans (Cuaba, Romeo y Julieta, Partagas) than anything else. I also smoke good Filipino cigars. They often need a little time in the humidor, but once they've rested a little they're very smooth and great value too! All the tobacco grown in the Ilocos region is originally from Cuban seed and was brought over by the Spanish hundreds of years ago.

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 05-06-2011 at 08:28 AM.

Jay:

Thompson Cigars was founded in 1915, so you're correct that they've been around for years. However, I only joined the "club" in 2008.

I usually smoke the Dutch Rembrandts which is very similar to the type that Clint Eastwood smoked in his Spaghetti Westerns. And for the "thick" ones, believe it or not, I really enjoy the Granediers which cost me less than $1/day. I tried other more expensive cigars, but I still like Rembrandts and Granediers the most and I smoke them alternately, i.e. Rembrandts one day, Granediers the next.

As you know, Cuban cigars are outlawed in the USA. I would smoke one or two while in Mexico and Costa Rica. Geez, they are expensive - $20 a pop?

I've only heard of Dutch Rembrandts and Grenadiers--might have to give them a try some time.

Cubans don't have to cost as much as $20 a piece, even here in HK where the duty on cigars is almost US$300 a kilo. You can get them for as little as $10 a piece. One of my favorites (Cuaba Exclusivos) go for $133 a piece here in HK. I don't buy cigars locally too often because the prices here are incredibly high after duty.

If you're picking them up at duty free, you can get some very good Cubans for much more reasonable prices.

Frankly Jay, I don't even know for sure if those cigars (in Mexico) were actually Cuban. Whatever you buy in Mexico (like in Shenzhen) buy it with a grain of salt. The high price was probably due to the fact that we just got off a Royal Caribbean cruise ship.

Next time I go overseas (early next year), I'll sure check out the duty free shops for those cigars but I'll make sure that I don't accidentially bring one or two Cuban back or I'll be in hot water with the US Customs. Last year when we were returning from Canada, we thought we ate all the oranges and didn't know one, yes one, orange rolled out from the bag and hid behind a compartment. Going across the border, we were almost fined $300 for illegally importing 1 orange into the USA. Fortunately we received a warning instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Renotommy:
    Frankly Jay, I don't even know for sure if those cigars (in Mexico) were actually Cuban. Whatever you buy in Mexico (like in Shenzhen) buy it with a grain of salt. The high price was probably due to the fact that we just got off a Royal Caribbean cruise ship.

Next time I go overseas (early next year), I'll sure check out the duty free shops for those cigars but I'll make sure that I don't accidentially bring one or two Cuban back or I'll be in hot water with the US Customs. Last year when we were returning from Canada, we thought we ate all the oranges and didn't know one, yes one, orange rolled out from the bag and hid behind a compartment. Going across the border, we were almost fined $300 for illegally importing 1 orange into the USA. Fortunately we received a warning instead.
    Tommy, any Cuban cigars in Mexico are almost 100% guaranteed to be fakes, especially if they're Cohibas in a plastic top box. If you just got off a cruise ship it's pretty much 100%. lol

US Customs doesn't play around when it comes to Cubans. If they find them in the mail, you get fined--they seized a whole bunch around Christmas last year. Us lucky HKers can buy genuine Habanos right at 7-11! I don't usually buy Cubans there, but it's nice to have that option!

Jay:

You're saying that those Cubans at the Duty Free Shops are likely to be genuine? Obviously, I can't buy them at the Duty Free Shop within the USA, so I'll have to wait for my next trip to Hong Kong next year. You're lucky to be able to buy Cubans at a 7-11(of all places).......I envy. How much are the Cubans in Hong Kong? When I was in HK last year, I don't recall seeing any Cubans, but King Edward cigarillos?

Hi Tommy,

The Cubans at the Duty Free Stores in Hong Kong are supplied by the Pacific Cigar Company, one of the largest distributors of Cuban cigars in Asia. They are 100% genuine. The issue you might face is bringing them in to HK: HK only allows you to bring in ONE cigar without paying duty on it. You might be better off buying them at one of the many cigar stores in town. Prices here are high, but you'd be looking at $10 US up for Cubans (less for small cigars). Here are some of Pacific's stores/lounges in HK:

The Pacific Cigar Company Limited - The Habanos S.A. Asia Pacific Exclusive Distributor

Renotommy likes this.

Thanks Jay for your info. I'll archive it in my "saved file" for future reference. Enjoy your smoke!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast