Fraud?

Closed Thread

The Peak / Czech Republic/ 36,000 ft in the air

Fraud?

Hi guys,

Just wanted to know a few things regarding the HK Police E-Crimes unit. Are they able to help you with a possible case of fraud even if the person who committed the crime is abroad?

Thanks.

Yes and no. They may tell you that their foreign counterparts do not respond to faxes/emails etc. We have for a while reported international credit card fraud to them and worked with the senior leadership to get some system worked out in order for their officers to gather experience with this field (this was early 2000). No results and as expected no responses from their counterparts overseas (UK etc). Our fraud amounts were some hundred US$ max per transaction usually. The division who handled this was the commercial crime bureau somewhere near Tin Shui Wai if I am not wrong, I only met them once to shake hands.

If you want something to happen about the crime report it in the country where the fraudster is. If he is in the UK call the UK police directly. (they may tell you that they can't do anything about it in the UK, but many countries have no problem to take your report)

Last edited by 100LL; 09-06-2011 at 02:58 AM.

Interesting. I know it was a while ago but what about fraud from mainland China?

In our case fraud from China was no problem. Credit cards in China where not international credit cards at that point (they were some kind of local Visa, MasterCard etc) and we didn't ship to China anyway. The problem was Chinese and HK "businesses" copying the content of the catalogue and web site (including company description), so we decided to block access from China and HK altogether. We also blocked a couple of other countries, if you have never shipped to a country in years and all 10 orders you ever had where clearly fraud, you know it's safe to block an entire country. Nigeria comes to mind, but also a couple of others.