Like Tree52Likes

I don't get why most hk people adopt "anti" attitude towards Chinese from Inland?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

good thing i was starting they were running out of men in HK that they would have to start importing them from the mainland.

HK guy will marry mainlander, but a HK girl will unlikely marry a mainlander.

HK people view mainlanders as hillbillys with money and themselves as more superior as they were occupied by the British/western influence for 100 years.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Oh and they steal our men too!

I was talking to someone the other day and he got married to a Shanghai girl, had a child. He's a HK'er. They lived in China for a while. They decided to move to HK. They came here, she got PR and then filed for divorce the next month! She has her passport now and no need for him anymore.
    Poor sod, that's horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by actionwoman:
    I have a friend who is HK Chinese, born and lived here all her life and OMG - the things she says about mainlanders! Reminds me of the "self-hating Jew."
    Of course, the 'self-hating Jew' tag is given by the self-righteous 'no Jew can ever do anything wrong' Jew to another Jewish person who dares to point out the obnoxious behavior of anyone who happens to be Jewish. If this is how you mean it, then yeah, I agree with you. Philip Roth has written quite a bit on that subject.

It isn't self-hatred that causes someone to criticize bad behavior, it is simple decency.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    if that's the case, then she "stole" him and then gave him back again... thereby, not reducing the "man-pool" out there...
    Yes, he is still young so he can get a new one from the local pool.

If people don't know I actually am joking in my posts.

I actually am married to a 'mainlander' but she refuses to hand me back!
    Satay Sue likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Oh and they steal our men too!

I was talking to someone the other day and he got married to a Shanghai girl, had a child. He's a HK'er. They lived in China for a while. They decided to move to HK. They came here, she got PR and then filed for divorce the next month! She has her passport now and no need for him anymore.
    how come she can get PR so quickly? no minimal stay like in UK? and how come they can divorce so quickly?!

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS:
    how come she can get PR so quickly? no minimal stay like in UK? and how come they can divorce so quickly?!
    Sorry, I don't know the full details. I will ask him next time.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    You mean Mainlanders not Inlanders?

You've answered your own question already.

Lack of manners and common courtesy to others.

Assuming everybody speaks Mandarin. Etc etc, They're seen as uncouth to many locals here.

And yes some locals are the same too.

P.s and they have a terrible dress sense
    I've found 99.9% of HK locals to be polite and friendly, but come weekends, I avoid the shops - the mainland women will really push you or just walk straight into you as if you are not meant to exist and the men - spitting!! Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by aliendavid1:

HK people view mainlanders as hillbillys with money and themselves as more superior as they were occupied by the British/western influence for 100 years.
    A bit like us Brits and the yanks
    Last edited by hullexile; 13-06-2011 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Yep, been that way for some time:

The Americanization of Emily - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In case you are wondering what "Americanization" really means, you can read it here in the Wikipedia entry:

The screenplay implies, but never explicitly explains what is meant by the term "Americanization." The novel uses "Americanized" to refer to a woman who accepts, as a normal condition of wartime, the exchange of her sexual favors for gifts of rare wartime commodities.

Or how we view the limey's as being stiff assed and anal retentive on everything...

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast