Video game cliques

Video game cliques

Went to Starbucks this evening and couldn't find a seat. I noticed that a table was being occupied by four guys playing PSP games (and another guy on a DS lite) and there wasn't even a beverage on their table. Eventually got a seat, stayed for an hour and saw that the guys still in the same hunched over position when I left. I've started spotting similar video game cliques in fast food restaurants, food courts, even on the exercise bikes on the gym.

There's something annoying about the way these people bring their stupid hobby to crowded public venues. I'm not into games myself, but I know that these consoles have connectivity features that would allow players to go against each other online. So why can't they play at home instead of forming these public clusters?

You have to understand the principle of a portable video game system. While it can be played at home, I don't think that is the initial intent of why these systems were even developed. Some of these gamers can be consumers and customers of these businesses, and it would be unfair to automatically stereotype or assume that they aren't otherwise. I wouldn't worry about them. A videogame "clique" as you would say, coulv ery well, be simply a group of friends on a lunch break or in between classes or what not.

Still, I feel your pain. As noted by the OP the table was devoid of drinks. Maybe cleared by the efficient barristas in an attempt to coerce the customers to buy more or to feel guilty and move on. I think it is reasonable to spend a half hour or so for a coffee more if you've had a long shop. I suspect that these gamers, and let's not limit this to them because as we all know students do likewise, spend a lot more than a half hour for the one or two drinks they buy.

sadly, i am usually one of those people - i take my portable console (nds lite, in this case) and go to starbucks/pcc/mcdonalds/etc and spend some time there either by myself, playing against my gf, or playing against some friends.

but i always make sure that i have some kind of food/drink on my table...

Quote Originally Posted by c1000
    There's something annoying about the way these people bring their stupid hobby to crowded public venues. I'm not into games myself, but I know that these consoles have connectivity features that would allow players to go against each other online. So why can't they play at home instead of forming these public clusters?
    They are probably playing wirelessly against each other and gather in Starbucks for the social aspect. But if they are not consuming anything there, thats another thing.

BTW: If you don't play or know little about video games, just don't knock it off as a "stupid hobby"