Like Tree1Likes

Ideas for protecting washer/dryer from weather

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ideas for protecting washer/dryer from weather

I just moved to a village home, and the washer sits outside on the patio. I actually quite like this idea, as it saves space inside, and lets us use a dryer without heating up our house.

However, I am concerned about leaving them exposed to the weather - they easily get wet when the wind blows in the rain.

I have them set up on a big shelf, with the dryer above the washer, so I would be able to attach some sort of wall to the side of it, which will shield them well. The question is, what should I use? I was thinking maybe a piece of plexi-glass or durable plastic... For now, we have a shower curtain hanging from the top.

What do you guys think?

There are washing machine covers just for this purpose. If you put bricks or something underneath the washing machine so that the wet from the floor does not reach it and then cover the washing machine with the specially made cover, that will suffice. We bought ours for about 30 dollars and keeps the machine dry as a bone. Ask in your local hardware store - they should have it.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You can buy a plastic cover; they come in different shapes according to the type of washer/dryer and have openings in the front or top. (The back is open for the plumbing.)

Be aware that this will likely shorten the life span of the machine as it will still be sitting in a high humidity environment. I dismantled a 3 year old washer that sat in in a covered outside area and there was already a lot of rust...

Yeah I expect it to shorten the life of the machine... oh well... c'est la vis, as they say in le France

I had considered those standalone covers too, I suppose they'll be the best choice after all. I was hoping to build a sort of enclosure for the whole setup though...

You might want to consider the current furore over illegal structures before you do that.

bookblogger likes this.

I'm not concerned, it's just an Ikea shelf

I just want to cover one side with some sort of wall. The problem is finding the right material. I don't even know where to begin looking.

Try a walk down lockhart and jaffe road in Wanchai. A lot of builders' merchants there.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinnypupp:
    I'm not concerned, it's just an Ikea shelf

I just want to cover one side with some sort of wall. The problem is finding the right material. I don't even know where to begin looking.
    You can buy plastic / grp sheds for the purpose. Then you can put all your laundry / cleaning stuff in it. Some even have ports to run water and soil pipes. If your in a Village House Ground floor then the area outside is YOUR land and you can put what you like on it. If you have no boundary then the normal rule is "anything under an awning". Our neighbours all have these.

There are loads of them all over the NT for this purpose and you will find a shop in your nearest town. I live Nr Tai Po and we have about 4 shops in the main areas that I know of.

The sheds will prevent rain (so will the $30 washing machine covers). They won't prevent humidity eating at the metal components though (as Gilles pointed out).

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast