PCCW Broadband/NOW TV - Please help us to understand!!

Closed Thread

PCCW Broadband/NOW TV - Please help us to understand!!

Hi all! Have now spoken to a total of 7 reps from PCCW (both outside MTR and on phone) and STILL cannot understand the basics of the different packages, the website has only confused us further.

Please, can those of you who've been around for a while just tell us what the best deal is?

All we want is:

Fast and unlimited broadband

To be able to watch the news on BBC World

Maybe HBO if it's cheap enough but otherwise never mind. Broadband and news most important.
    We are here in HK for at least 2 years so don't mind signing up to a contract.

So which package would be best/how much should it cost?

Thank you so so much for your help in advance!

The speed of the broadband will depend on your individual building/flat. Make sure you sign up for the fastest possible service for your building.
    When we signed up earlier this year, a two year contract and broaband got us a couple of free channels and then we paid for a few more. I don't think HBO comes "free"; I know ESPN didn't.
    Keep in mind there are about 15 free stations and that you can sign up for bulk packs (National Geographic package is 3 or 4 stations at a discounted price).
    No reason you shouldn't be able to get BBC World, the channels are a la carte.

Thank you Sleuth. we're going to be in Victoria Gardens building, everyone there seems to be on PCCW so that's why we thought of going with that..

We are heavy Skype users - any advice on best broadband for that? Also, got a bit confused with the wireless option - is it cheaper? Is it more reliable than a fixed line broadband?

Thanks for helping

Just get a fixed line broadband. If you want to run wireless around your flat then buy your own wireless route (~$500) and plug that on the end.

Netvigator/PCCW is fine for Skype although the telecoms market in HK is sufficiently competitive that if you're using Skype out you will often get a better deal from a traditional telecoms supplier.

my package (and I'm sure there are others with cheaper deals..there always are) is 8Mbps for 218/month, and two free Channels of my choice (HBO is one) in addition to the standard 15 or so free channels which are pure crap

You don't need 8Mbps but if you can afford it then go for it. As has been said some free channels are thrown in and depending on the package an additional channel of your choice (HBO if you want). Their specials have changed more than I've changed underwear so what we bought into may not exist. Sometimes they give away a gift too. And don't buy into their wireless packages. As PDLM says just get yourself a wireless router.

Exclamation Same problem with Now/pccw

I ordered the broadband line but they gave me for free a lot of added value services (antivirus, mail plus, ...) which after a couple of month would make another 100HK$ so I cancelled all that useless stuff. I just left the plain broadband line and the TV. 228 HK$ for the broadbnad line.

At the netvigator website is easy to cancel all that except the MOV which site is only in Chinese. I sent them an email asking the termination of that service too and the following day it was done.

I'll buy a router one of these days at Wanchai Computer center, close to the Wanchai MTR station. It's 200-300$, so it has no sense to order a wifi router with Netvigator 'cos they charge 98$ a month.