Like Tree9Likes

Spontaneous acts of kindness

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Star Gazer:
    there are several instances when the person in front of me at the atm machine leaves without getting the cash he/she withdrew. i chase the person to hand him his cash and usually i have to queue again at the atm.

we just have to do what is the right thing to do period.
    Yes that happened to me. I thought my card was rejected as I was using a bank and ATM not familiar with. I walked away and the guy yelled out. I was embarrassed but saved me $800!

Whether in Hong Kong or abroad, I believe the majority of people are honest and fairly polite. Last month, I left my wallet in a tiny food stall in Thailand with several thousand Baht in it and when I went back to retrieve it, the lady had put it away and nothing was missing.

Most of the time, it simply goes unnoticed but it's far easier to see the ones that are not and focus on the negative. I was on the MTR at rush hour last Thursday and it was pretty packed. About twenty people were waiting politely for the doors to open however two guys decided to cut in front and one of them succeeded while the second one made the mistake of trying to go in front of me and I yanked him out of the way. Many people could focus on the actions of the two since they were rude and forget that there were twenty that were not. Some could view my actions as equally rude and an overreaction to something fairly minor since we all got in the train in the end.

In my old building, virtually every time I came in or leave the building, someone held either the elevator or the entrance door.

People often choose to see what they wish to see...Glass half full or half empty

SiuMaiTaiTai likes this.

Beneath the brash superficial rudeness that we foreigners often like to moan (affectionately) about, the majority of locals I've met are thoroughly decent and trustworthy people. I realise this is a whopping big generalisation, but it's just been my experience.

I know friends who have lost wallets full of cash only to have them returned totally intact by the cleaner. Shop keepers who chase after you to give the right change or return something you left in their store. I've even *takes a sharp intake of breath* had a taxi driver return a mobile phone that fell out of my pocket in his cab.

Glass half full!

People who know me often mistake me for a glass half full kinda guy but I'm really a glass half empty guy. And I know if I neck it i can't get another quick one in 'fore it's time to go home.

I have left a wallet in a cab with 2k in it never to be seen of again and I have left my I-phone 4 in a cab to have it turned in at the police station by the driver.

I agree that people see what they want and for me HK's full of honest taxi drivers with a few wallet thieving dicks rather than full of thieves with a few honest fools.

just like most places I'd imagine.

dear giant likes this.