Like Tree2Likes

Strange question on 2011 Population Census Questionnaire

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Strange question on 2011 Population Census Questionnaire

I received the HKSAR 2011 Poulation Census Questionnaire in the mail yesterday. While I'm quite happy to do my bit and help, I noticed a very strange question on the form:
    13. Where was this person at 3a.m. on 30 June 2011?
    a. Here or place not for accomodation in HK (e.g. workplace, street) [sic]
    b. Other accomodation in Hong Kong
    c. The mainland China or Macao [sic]
    d. Other countries or territories

Is it just me or is this a rather irrelevant question? Also, given the fact that I received the questionnaire on 28 June 2011, I can't possibly predict what I will be doing at 3 a.m. two days from now!

So don't answer the question until after 3am on 30 June!

The whole point of a census is that it records a snapshot of who is in HK at a specific moment in time.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by vinyljunky:
    Is it just me or is this a rather irrelevant question? Also, given the fact that I received the questionnaire on 28 June 2011, I can't possibly predict what I will be doing at 3 a.m. two days from now!
    Is it just me who thinks it is perfectly reasonable for the government to send out the questionnaires to arrive at people's home BEFORE 3am on June 30, 2011?

From the Government website:

When will households receive the notification letters?
    Letters will be dispatched to households by phase during 23 to 28 June 2011. Households should receive them before end-June 2011.

May I return the completed postal questionnaire before 30 June 2011?
    You may choose to complete and return postal questionnaire before the census period (i.e. before 30 June 2011) in case the residency patterns of all household members as at 3 a.m. on 30 June 2011 (the census reference moment) are known in advance (e.g. with reference to the daily routine and any planned trip). Otherwise, you should complete and return the postal questionnaire until the launch of the census period.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    The whole point of a census is that it records a snapshot of who is in HK at a specific moment in time.
    Ah, that would make sense then. The only reason I ask is that for all other census questionnaires I've filled in, the questions were mainly demographic (education, household income, no. of cars, etc.). This is the first time I've been asked where I am/will be at a specific time and date.

That's curious since one of the prime purposes of a census is to enumerate the people in a territory at a specific point in time...

I would enter the name of your favourite bar, you'll then have a legal obligation to be there at that time

virago likes this.

So who is going to put "Jedi Knight" under any question about religion?

Do they have a "raging atheist" box for those like myself, PDLM et al?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

There are no questions on favourite fictional characters. This is not the census you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    That's curious since one of the prime purposes of a census is to enumerate the people in a territory at a specific point in time...
    Where is this 'prime purpose' defined and what useful purpose does it have to ask about a single, specific date and time?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast