Like Tree1Likes

Making/Receiving Calls to US from iPhone in HK Using Skype

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Making/Receiving Calls to US from iPhone in HK Using Skype

So I am about to move to HK and I am trying to figure out the best way to keep in touch with my family. I have read a lot of the posts about Skype and the iPhone in HK, but I am still a little confused. Can someone clarify the following for me?

I plan on getting an iPhone and downloading the skype app onto it. I will also pay the US$2.99 a month to be able to call US phones from my skype account. I also believe that you can get a US number that people can call and it will directly go to your Skype account (which should then ring on the skype on my phone).

So if all of this is true, can I use skype to call to US numbers from my phone, AS WELL as received calls from US phones calling the number that was given to be by skype?

Thanks!

Sorry I don't know much about Skype for iphone but check the data plan as I assume that the data amount would need to be quite high. I would also look for plans here in HK for the iphone rather than in the US.

In principle yes that all works (there's a charge for the US number as well I believe). But depending on how many calls you make and how much other data you download on your iPhone this may or may not work out cheaper than just making phone calls. An all you can eat data plan costs about US$40/month. Phone calls to the US cost about US$0.02/min. The quality may well be better on traditional phone calls as well.

With iPhone you can use FaceTime with other iPhones, iPads, iPods or macs provided they can use that app. As for Skype, service isn't that great, I've had problems connecting, poor reception etc etc. In order for you to receive calls you need to have that app running and that can drain your battery quick.

So use a combo of FaceTime, Skype and email to manage communication.

nicNYC likes this.

Thanks so much!
    I am not currently a smart phone user so I am new to all of this: If I get an unlimited data plan (how much are they in HK generally?), I should be able to make unlimited skype calls, internet downloads and such, right?

Alternative:

HK to US: IDD
    US to HK: dialnopin.com (US $0.018 per min) onesuite.com (US $0.022 per min)

Quote Originally Posted by shc7v:
    So I am about to move to HK and I am trying to figure out the best way to keep in touch with my family. I have read a lot of the posts about Skype and the iPhone in HK, but I am still a little confused. Can someone clarify the following for me?

I plan on getting an iPhone and downloading the skype app onto it. I will also pay the US$2.99 a month to be able to call US phones from my skype account. I also believe that you can get a US number that people can call and it will directly go to your Skype account (which should then ring on the skype on my phone).

So if all of this is true, can I use skype to call to US numbers from my phone, AS WELL as received calls from US phones calling the number that was given to be by skype?

Thanks!

I have an iPhone and use the company 3 and for a little bit more a month they let you use your minutes to call the US at no additional charge.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    An all you can eat data plan costs about US$40/month.
    If I get an unlimited data plan (how much are they in HK generally?), I should be able to make unlimited skype calls, internet downloads and such, right?
    See above, and yes. But the speed of data download and the quality of voice calls over an internet application will be very variable.

Thanks so much!
    I am not currently a smart phone user so I am new to all of this: If I get an unlimited data plan (how much are they in HK generally?), I should be able to make unlimited skype calls, internet downloads and such, right?
    Hi, I am also new to Smartphones having resisted buying one. After having difficulties with my 3USB modem and the speeds getting progressively slower I took advice on these forums and have bought a HTC Wildfire S for the portable wifi. My data plan is 202HKD unlimited but I neg'd hard for that, standard is 244HKD p/m.I paid 2000HKD cash for the handset.

Well, it's unbelievable!! Generally, the connection is very fast, I watch Youtube videos and only occasionally get a 1 or 2 second pause, maybe just a tad worse than my 6mbits fixed broadband... Sype is great, spoke to Japan, Australia and the UK so far, got a bit of echo on the UK call but that's Skype.

Sheepishly I admit that I'm loving the social networking, on the weekend I was trying to describe Sam Shing to my Mum in Oz over Skype, I said hang on, took a video and stuck it on Facebook immediately and she watched while I explained it!! Amazing!!!

Don't even talk to me about Geoexpat for Android - those bastards have ruined my life..

Cheaper? Maybe not, but for all the extra benefits you get on top of cheap International calls, absolutely worth it in my opinion..
    Last edited by bryant.english; 04-07-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Great - this is all so useful!
    Bryant.english - So is HTC Wildfire S similiar to the iPhone or Android? Can you do all the same things - and is it better just because it is faster on the 3G networks (obvious plus)? And is that phone provided on one specific carrier in HK?

So I guess the best bet is to get a HK plan that I can directly call the US from my phone because it is relatively cheap. And I guess I'll find a way to get US phones to call my cell phone - maybe get a US number associated with my skype account and then have all skype calls forwarded to my phone - that could work too, I guess.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast