Car Battery Disposal

Car Battery Disposal

Anyone have any idea of how I can dispose of a car battery. A google and government website search give me lots of verbal about how they have these great recycling services, etc but absolutely no information on where and how (nothing unusual there then.................).

I just want to be environmentally friendly and not follow the local advice to just dump it in the nearest bin!

EPD (Environmental Protection Department) should have the best suggestions for you ..

http://www.epd.gov.hk/epd/english/en...c_enquiry.html

They do run a battery recycling program -- but I don't think that covers car batteries.

Thanks Shri, did see that before - still limited information! I will try and call them during the week. It's difficult because always in and out of HK so just wanted somewhere I could take it to. I would imagine they charge too - no wonder the local advice is as it is!

try these guys ..

http://www.ab.ust.hk/sepo/contact_us.htm

That was the only page that I could find which said "contact sepo for more information on recycling or disposing your car batteries" (well.. something like that)

Hey Kia,

Actually spoke with both EPD and SEPO today and there is nothing in place to dispose or recycle car batteries, can you believe it? EPD can only act if you are a registered waste producer and SEPO have no means either.

So for something that is as harmful to the environment as a car battery, which even the government acknowledges is 90% recyclable, it seems they would want to chastise me more for putting my waste in the bin in my reused P'n'S plastic bag than dumping a car battery. Blimey - this government........very big on words......etc, etc, etc