Learning to drive in HK

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sigga
    Some of the younger ones overteach - they talk and talk all the time and it's distracting. One time, I was revving the engine up and releasing the clutch on a hill start and the guy starts jabbering away, 'don't forget this, make sure you do that,' and I just had to tell him to STFU. I also gave him a '1' during feedback
    So how are you going to cope when a kid runs out in front of you, your mobile phone rings, your kid/friend/client in the back suddenly spills his drink all over the place and there is a car veering towards you on the wrong side of the road ....

OK - abit extreme - but you get the idea. Actually learning to tune out the irrelevant info and focus only on the important bits is a key driving skill .....

Hmm. The point is I had never messed up a hill start, I'd probably done 20 perfectly and this guy's still trying to teach me. And it was obvious stuff like finding the biting point, applying lots of gas, etc.

By that point he'd been talking non-stop for about 40 minutes and I was getting tired of it.

Quotes from Nietzsche:

"Whoever is a teacher through and through takes all things seriously only in relation to his studentseven himself."

"You are rewarding a teacher poorly if you remain always a pupil."

Anybody can recommend a good english speaking instructor in any driving school ?
    I am planning to get my licence here and I think that intructor is essential. Preferably Kowloon side.
    Thanks !

if you go to the transport department web, there is a PDF file who shown all the driving instructors and their speaking abilities.

Thank you apple&dog. My concern howerver is not only to find an english speaking instructor (which is quiet easy in Hong Kong) but a "good" one with good reviews. This is why I am asking to anyone who actually passed his driving licence here.

Quote Originally Posted by fuchimiinari
    Anybody can recommend a good english instructor in any driving school?
    AT/ MT? CAR/van?
    Unless u learn at HKSM/ KTDS, pls choose the test in HK island. (There's one test center for other school/private instructor in the Island ONLY. Kln/NT = "draw" from centers)
    U can pass the theory test first, plenty of time to choose instructor. A "normal" local guy can pass MT van ~20 lessons/ AT car ~15 lessons by those "good" private instructor.

There's videos about the road test in youtube: HK Island -van YouTube - ???????
    right
    route
    YouTube - ??????? ???????
    Instructor at TD's PDF file is private one/ School's Instructor can't find on that pdf
    Last edited by humanbeing; 26-08-2009 at 08:33 PM.

Do they teach lane discipline? Merging technique? How about turn signals? Those are three skills of which I'd like to see more evidence on the roads.

I forgot whats the school called but I went to the one in Ap lei chau, lee nam road ! that one was really good,very organized. Took me 3 months!And yes you need to learn manual to get license for manual and automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by TS888
    Do they teach lane discipline? Merging technique? How about turn signals? Those are three skills of which I'd like to see more evidence on the roads.
    Skills are taught & to pass the road test that's a MUST shown to the govt driving examiner BUT in the REAL chinese (HK/Macau/mainland/Taiwan) driving world (same s***) , these skills are forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by friendlyfire
    I forgot whats the school called but I went to the one in Ap lei chau, lee nam road ! that one was really good,very organized. Took me 3 months!And yes you need to learn manual to get license for manual and automatic.
    HKSM- HK Island Road Safety Center/ 68 Lee Nam Rd

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast