What insect was this?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What insect was this?

It had big goggle eyes, a bit like a house fly, except this one was over an inch long, had massive hairy legs, a long tapered body and it flew so fast I just had to open the window and hoped it went away, which it did, finally.

I nearly filled my pants when I saw that thing on my curtain

Does anyone know of some sort of online bug photo bank I can try and find out what this fellow was?

One of these?

aaaaaghhh!!!. but no.

the one I saw had very hairy legs and was more of a grey/black with blueish eyes that stuck out more.

Nice pic though. What camera did you use?

Not my pic... that's a cicada.

If it was a Dragonfly, reptile, amphibian, bird, butterfly, mammal or freshwater fish you could search for it here:
    http://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/conse...ase/search.asp

I'm not aware of anything similar covering insects in general though.

cheers for that. It's quite a good website but I am not sure it was a dragon fly I saw, just some huge deformed hideous mutant house fly. Maybe mutated from eating too much pesticide.

But while we are on the subject is there anything venomous over here? I have seen lots of big beetles, roaches and lizards, but the spiders seem to be tiny and I have have the odd clumsy (but scary) wasp fly through the window - you know the ones with the strange hourglass shaped bodies.

Saw a snake once on a trip here about 10 years ago, but that's it.

There are some snakes that can be deadly (particularly the krait family) but it's many years since someone died from a snakebite in HK - there's nothing (on land at least - sea snakes are a different story) that would kill a healthy adult in less time than it takes to get to anti-venom here.

That site has pictures of all the snakes around (there are quite a lot of them).

Well i encountered a spider that was roughly 20 cm legspan (L to R)
    I got a few snaps of it, i was sitting on a wall for a few days, then it went away.
    But it was fast because when i tried to take the photo i must have made some vibration, and it was like it teleported 10cm side ways.

It was gray slim septagon body shape, with a cluster of eyes at the front that made it look like one huge eye.
    legs about 10cm in length.

Saw a smaller one hanging in a thread from a wall a few month later.
    Anyone else seen one of these?

Haven't seen that spider, but I saw a snail the size of a baseball last week. Horrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSWE:
    Well i encountered a spider that was roughly 20 cm legspan (L to R)
    I got a few snaps of it, i was sitting on a wall for a few days, then it went away.Anyone else seen one of these?
    blimey, I stand corrected.

Go on then, let's see it. Where did you find it?

I found it in Yuen Long, I'm gonna dig for the cd I burned the images on.
    I also spotted one in mong kok, in one of the clothes shops there.
    It was not as big but far more creepy, had a big red end, kinda like a small tomato, with yellow orange legs, it was crawling around the jeans there, scared the **** out of me, but it ran away fast. id guess it was maybe 6cm.
    Don't have a photo of that one though, maybe it came shipped with the clothes and isn't native to this region who knows.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast