Like Tree11Likes

Amy Winehouse found dead

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    However, she is a fairly good company: Jimmy Hendrix, Jim Morrison, and Janis Joplin all died at 27 of drug overdoses.
    I think the major difference between Amy and the artists you mention is that the latter put out a stream of excelant music during their lives, whereas AW had one album back in 2003 and another in 2006. Since then it's just been five years of her getting drunk, stoned and cancelled performances.

Hendrix, Morrison and the like would be smacked out of their heads, ditto Brian Jones, Joplin, and still put on a great concert.

On a very minor point, those tattoos were truly vile. Why any pretty young woman would want to defile their body like that is a mystery to me.
    Loz_2 and Freetrader like this.

Wow.

I suppose I am not surprised by the lack of sympathy for her OD. I am more surprised about the range of opinion on her musical ability. I am no massive fan but I thought Back to Black was a superb album.

My other half went to uni at Leeds at a time when a lot of very good bands were making waves. She knew a lot of them well and saw the majority disintegrate. Give late teens/early twentysomethings a lot of money (and the independence that brings) and that status that being a musician brings, and the consequence seems inevitable.

The reaction here is quite mild compared to the reaction on some other forums I've been on (plenty of rehab jokes).

Now I like to make jokes at the worst of times but I draw the line at someone's death. I think people have a defence mechanism which stops them seeing death for what it is.

Before people dismiss her as a junkie and withdraw any feelings of sympathy you should think how easy it is to become one (it could have easily happened to you or still could to a family member). All you have to do is get mixed up with the wrong people at a young age when you're still learning about right and wrong and, boom, you're addicted.

Last edited by justjoe86; 24-07-2011 at 10:54 AM.

It's also very easy not to become addicts, the majority of people who have a brain and some backbone manage to do it just fine. I see little reason to extend sympathy to people who lack self control. This is the world we live in these days, very often trying finding excuses in order to shift the blame and responsibility elsewhere instead of facing the cold hard facts of our own shortcomings.

anothercanuck and dot.zen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    It's also very easy not to become addicts, the majority of people who have a brain and some backbone manage to do it just fine. I see little reason to extend sympathy to people who lack self control. This is the world we live in these days, very often trying finding excuses in order to shift the blame and responsibility elsewhere instead of facing the cold hard facts of our own shortcomings.
    Most people get into these circles when theyre kids and their views and attitides can easily be moulded. You obviously met some self righteous people at a young age... Amy winehouse met some drug addicts. You've both been moulded accordingly.
    kogia likes this.

There are all kinds of people that surround you at all times when you grow up. The choices of the person you become is ultimately yours and no one else.

My brothers became addicts and I became a proud self righteous ass. Who's to blame? Personally, I take full responsibility for my actions and I don't pity or sympathy for my spineless brothers.

Last edited by gilleshk; 24-07-2011 at 11:19 AM.

There are all kinds of people that surround you at all times when you grow up. The choices of the person you become is ultimately yours and no one else.
    This is true in most cases. Most things we try when we're young are very easy to grow out of. (Don't tell me you never did something stupid when you were younger) Unfortunately drugs are physically addictive so once you try them it's very hard to turn back.

It's not that you don't have a backbone so much as the drugs destroy it.

I will add to this that I do have a family member who went through similar troubles. I expect that if you did too, you may adjust your views slightly. Then again, maybe not.

My brothers became addicts and I became a proud self righteous ass. Who's to blame? Personally, I take full responsibility for my actions and I don't pity or sympathy for my spineless brothers.
    Oh... you edited your post and answered my q... well in that case I guess we can end the conversation because we both reacted very differently to a similar situation.

Personally I did my best to help my relative get out of the mess... and it went quite well (she's clean now) but not without a lot of effort and sacrifice. I guess it would've been easier to abandon my sympathy and label her spineless
    Last edited by justjoe86; 24-07-2011 at 11:25 AM.
    kogia likes this.

Usually I'm the last person to extend my sympathies to the rich and drug-addled famous. They have had a lot more opportunities and 'luck' to either pay for help or live a life that can accomodate their habits than people without fame and wealth, they are the 'lucky' end of addiction. However, several people on here seem to be taking an ignorant 'hard-line' towards drug addiction, the rest of us can only dream that our lives are so morally upright and without fault or flaws.

Most people that experiment with drugs don't become addicts, furthermore unless someone's head is completely up their asses, they know that drugs are addictive from a very young age. Making excuses for their behavior often enables them. In virtually all the help/rehab programs, a very important step is to take responsibility of one's actions and to try to stop finding excuses for destructive behaviors. Ultimately one can't be helped if they don't help themselves first.

Personally, I prefer to spend my efforts towards people I feel are more deserving of my time but I respect those who have the ability to empathize and work with addicts. I wouldn't nor couldn't do it for all the money in the world. There are people living in abject poverty all over the world who had no hand in their ply or kids actually wanting to achieve things with their lives, that's where my sympathy and efforts go to...

Certainly not for an overpaid pop star addict who managed to write and sing a few songs and strum a guitar...

Most people that experiment with drugs don't become addicts..
    Depends on the drug. Heroin, for example, is physically addictive to a horrible extent. It doesn't take long for it to completely consume you. To be honest I don't even know what Amy winehouse was addicted to but would expect it to be this.