Like Tree38Likes

China - is that all ?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Movingin07-so what impact did it have ?
    Can you briefly describe it or give an example.
    Like I did about Canto "noise" in HK and where I feel it has changed me 180degree

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    Many of us have been discussing money matters here, e.g. how much is enough to retire.

I have been contemplating about whether having lived abroad ( in this case China )
    is all there is to life?
    I mean just "China" on your personal CV is a little boring.
    I want to soak in a completely new culture, for example 5 years in Egypt or South America.

Anyone else who feels China is not enough ?
    Sounds like you have the mentality of a tourist. You should probably just take a vacation.

It depends on the person. Some of the happiest people I know have never moved from home, because what mattered to them was having their family around.

If you want to move because you want to learn about a new culture, then by all means do so (if it's that important, you'll find a way to make it happen). But you don't need to live in a new country to learn about it, you can always start right here at home and then see where it goes. For all you know, you might hate it.

I guess it depends on what you're trying to get out of the experience. The grass is always greener on the other side - having lived in 4 countries (and counting) over the last 6 years, I do envy my friends who have some stability.

luckycat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    Movingin07-so what impact did it have ?
    Can you briefly describe it or give an example.
    Like I did about Canto "noise" in HK and where I feel it has changed me 180degree
    So many impacts it's hard to put into words!

Let me give one example. My sister took her baby to Australia many years ago, and did a stopover in japan. She arrived with no currency and a screaming baby in the middle of the night and tried to get food for it. Nobody would take a credit card. She got very upset and frustrated as a result. Now, whenever Japan is mentioned in any conversation, she reminds us all of this story and tells us what a "stupid" place Japan is because they don't take credit cards.

I look at this story and think "I could have been like this if I never lived abroad" ... I have tried on a number of occasions to try to explain to my sister that different people do things different ways and that it's not "wrong" or "right" ... just different ... but she can't, or won't see this.

Another is Islam. When I was young, I believed that Muslims were bad people because they forced women to wear headscarves (and other stuff). Then I lived in Malaysia for 2 years. That experience taught me alot about the difference between religion and culture and also gave me an appreciation of the fact that many women don't mind alot of the stuff I saw as oppressive ...(I still think alot of what goes on in Saudi is oppressive mind!).

That's how living abroad has changed me. The ability to see that there is no right or wrong way to approach anything, just different approaches and that my view of "right or wrong" is not necessarily how different people see it.

"I could have been like this if I never lived abroad"

exactly. and I feel I could be so much more if I leave my comfort zone China

"Don't criticize someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes...."

Such good advice...................

Original Post Deleted
    Nice summary of my first two posts on this thread, which dealt with how different people are enriched by different things.

OP, what do you intend to seek specifically out of your urge to experience different culture and people? Is it to broaden your horizon? Know more places? Or simply to experience more of the world? Knowing your goals and aims for experiencing different countries will help you decide what (and how many) places to go to.

I'd always planned to do it, living in a bunch of different countries before returning back home to settle down, but some how I got stuck in HK. HK, shit I'm still only in HK.

Hk, you can check out any time you like but you can never leave....

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    And your polar bear would love it
    there is no polar bear on the antarctic. this place is the home for the penguins

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast