Like Tree8Likes

Best HK Beach to get away from all the crowds...on the beach

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

but on a cheerier front since you are not a male hairdresser then your chances of getting chomped by a shark on a clear water bay road beach is proven statistically to be some what lower....

The Sai Kung Shark Attacks – early 90′s, Sai Kung

Pekkerhead likes this.

Beaches have really grown in popularity here over the last few years, when we lived here before (8 years ago) I could sneak out to Clearwater Bay main beach during the week and it would be almost me by myself, now it's packed whatever day I've been.

The hourly 'beaches are dangerous you are in danger of death' announcements drive me up the wall too, who thought they were a good idea?

true - but I think some schools are out?

wasnt so bad in may... I was swimming up to october last year I think, you can have the place to your self nearly in month or so..

But it does seem to be becoming more popular! avoid sundays its a circus!

I'd get it if it was packed with kids, but it isn't, it's people of all ages, I'm grumpy, I like some peace at a beach.

A couple of weeks ago we (I was taking my Chinese in-laws who were here visiting) found one of the few ends of the Clearwater Bay beach that wasn't totally jammed, but within minutes we were surrounded by quite the most geeky immature bunch of late teens (they were uni kids) I've ever seen. They were having a sand castle building contest, there was lots of hiding under umbrellas and disgust at all the sand they were getting on their hands and feet, much shouting and screaming and more talking, squawking and even some Christian songs?? Then they had an awards ceremony for the best sandcastles, we all sat there sadly being very rude and open mouthed staring, because these sand castles were tiny, barely pimples in the sand, really I can't describe how unimpressive these 'sand castles' were, it was all very bizarre and annoying.

I vowed that day to trek over to the more quiet Trio Beach more often.

Living in a city populated by several million other people, in summer, hardly surprising that the beaches on public transport routes are busy. If you want peace, get off your butts and hike somewhere less accessible. Many options to choose from and if the first beach has someone else on it, keep going to the next one......

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Tung O was a bit messy last time I was there, although the hiking meetup group went and did a beach cleanup just afterwards. Not sure how well that's lasted. No facilities at Tung O either (maybe a villager selling cold drinks at the weekend). But make the most of it before it gets turned into the next Discovery Bay.
    Is that development going ahead? It will be a great pity if it does, as that corner of Lamma island is generally unspoilt. True about the beach having lots of debris on it, but most of it is washed up from the sea so even after cleaning, a few days later it is messy again.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Living in a city populated by several million other people, in summer, hardly surprising that the beaches on public transport routes are busy. If you want peace, get off your butts and hike somewhere less accessible. Many options to choose from and if the first beach has someone else on it, keep going to the next one......
    Preaching to the converted on that front sir, I probably hike a lot more than most people on here as I sort of do it for a living, but sadly the hikes required for many beaches are just not possible or desireable on every occasion (eg. in-laws in tow or just a couple of free hours).

Besides more to the point, my complaint was born out of noticing a shift in it being more popular now than it used to be, I can't help but prefer it being less popular. But don't take my whinge too seriously, I am well aware that there are plenty of quieter beaches around with a little bit more effort.

Hey,
    I would like to try Cheung Sha Beach this weekend! Does anybody know if there is any place in the shade on the beach or if it's like Shek O that there are umbrellas for rent? I really don't mind the sun but if you stay there the whole day it would be nice to have some shade to relax/sleep in.
    Anybody knows the bus no. from Mui Wo to Cheung Sha Beach or is it easy to find?

Btw... I usually go to Shek O or Big Wave Bay because it's quite easy to reach if you live on HK Island side... but it's really crowded on weekends

Thanks for your help!

i cant believe there are places like this in hongkong. how do i get there? what boat? cheers. A

What kind of places do you mean? All the beaches? HK got plenty of nice beaches... Boat? You only need to take MTR/bus/ferry... If you mean ferry then those from Central for example.