Moving out of the Way

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Moving out of the Way

What is the ettiquette with regard to moving out of the way when walking towards some one? I keep getting waves of minute chinese girls heading towards me and I have to take all kinds of evaisive action to avoid knocking them over.

I try to be polite and move but its getting a bit boring being forced to dance with the traffic everytime I try and share a pavement with a four stone fashion victim. Weighing 15 stone I suspect if i put my shoulder into it and launched into an undertaker style coffin slam I may win. What does everyone else do?

Walk straight into them. If you are really good at it you can play a form of human billiards. I once got three in one go, boing, boing, boing. Don't get me started on walking habits in HK I could bore everyone stupid

I agree. Run 'em over, but don't throw elbows or shoulders. I make allowances for senior citizens and people with small children. The others receive a lesson in physics. I am bigger, stronger and walk faster than 90% of the people trying to run into me. And this isn't just a HK thing, it applies in China also. And not just walking, take this behavoir and apply it to driving and you have the roads in China.

I told you not to get me started. I am getting really childish about it now though. If I see someone coming straight at me but not looking where they are going then I take pleasure in not moving out of the way even if I have 20 yards warning. If they suddenly cut straight in front of me then I am afraid my foot tends to get tangled in their legs. Childish as I said, but it gets rid of the annoyance factor beautifully.

One time in the SZ metro I had some guy who might have weighed 50 kgs try to walk right into me as I got off. I saw it coming and put my hand out, which he then rammed his chest into. I slowly pushed him back off the train and to one side as I exited.
    And, of course, I was the first person exiting and was doing it from the center of the door. The guy could have entered on either side without running into me.

at mtr doors i like to use elbow.. 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I told you not to get me started. I am getting really childish about it now though. If I see someone coming straight at me but not looking where they are going then I take pleasure in not moving out of the way even if I have 20 yards warning. If they suddenly cut straight in front of me then I am afraid my foot tends to get tangled in their legs. Childish as I said, but it gets rid of the annoyance factor beautifully.
    Isn't it funny how we become so similar though we come from completely different backgrounds and cultures.

But, in this case, I am willing to bet we all come from a culture were you don't just blindly walk into other people when you can avoid doing so.

Except for British football hooligans.

I used to get pissed with people bumping into me. Wondering, so rude, no apologies...But now...think I've become one of them!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast