Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pin

Calling UK mobiles

Closed Thread

Calling UK mobiles

I've just read some past threads but am confused about IDD codes and how it works.

I want to call UK mobiles from my HK mobile. Not loads just to catch up with a few people a couple of times a month. It doesn't necessarily need to be the absolute cheapest option - I'd pay a bit more for something straightforward.

Could anyway tell me what works well for them? Thanks

HK mobile to UK mobile isn't cheap and with IDD you will pay quite a bit.

Way I've done it is to use Rebtel. Its a bit convoluted, but the net result is the call costs are next to nothing (just comes out of inclusive minutes at both ends).

Thanks, I read about that on previous posts. I'll look into it.

What about phonecards? Can you use them to call from your mobile? Or are they expensive to call mobiles?

Any call to a UK mobile will be fairly expensive because it's caller pays and airtime minutes in the UK Are expensive.

To call UK mobile the following services charge this much per minute in HKD:

- Gmail calling: 0.89
    - Skype 2.04: (+connection fee)
    - IDT 1529: 1.98
    - 0060: 4.42
    - 12voip: 0.70 (+ connection fee of 0.45)
    - IDD 1968: 3.99

From this if you are by a computer probably 12voip or Gmail calling would work (Gmail calling seems to have launched in more destinations and I seem to have it in HK, others may not have it yet).

If you need to call from your mobile I suggest you sign up to IDT 1529.

emmie likes this.

Thanks. I'll look into IDT 1529. I do use skype but often the quality is not great either due to my Internet or theirs. Sometimes it's just nice to talk on the phone!