Like Tree10Likes

Racism resources

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Racism resources

My pregnant wife (Indian) tells me that there was only 1 day out of the last many months in which anyone gave up their seat for her on her bus ride to/from her office despite the fact that she is clearly pregnant and is carrying a laptop.

I know that despite whatever racial stereotyping I am guilty of, I am not that much of an asshole to not give up a seat for a pregnant woman. But the locals apparently are not beneath it. Apparently, it's good enough for brown-skinned women to stand in a bus that can shake violently while they rest their asses comfortably.

I was just curious to learn where this attitude comes from, esp. since the Chinese themselves must have faced enormous amounts of racism during colonial rule. So I did some Google-ing, and am sharing what I found.

Useful articles to understand and deal with racism in HK.

Harinder Veriah case. Very sad.

It seemed impossible, but at last Martin Jacques got justice for the wife he loved | World news | The Observer

The Global Hierarchy of Race

Excellent thread; the comments are insightful give a global perspective on racism:
    Appalling Racism in Hong Kong | THINK! Discussions | Hong Kong Expat Forums | AsiaXPAT.com

Harinder Veriah Memorial Site

Nice blog post by a kind person:
    河國榮, An Aussie in Hong Kong — Racism in Hong Kong

My thoughts:
    • Be realistic : there is racism. Don't be lulled into a sense of false comfort by the politically correct platitudes that some people on geoexpat come up with instead of acknowledging a ground reality. This post is the first on geoexpat that even mentioned Harinder Veriah, even though the case happened in 2000 and it's now 2011.
    • At the same time, try hard to understand what is racist behaviour and what is not. Don't assume that it's racism. For example, some people are just rude to everyone. It's not always about you. :-)

I would appreciate any advice on how to deal with it mentally / psychologically.

Don't think it's rascim. I don't think many locals give up their seats for anyone, let alone pregnant ladies.

Agreed. Recently I gave my seat to a heavily pregnant Chinese woman and the other occupants in the carriage stared at me in shock for the next few stops!

Perhaps your wife can (politely) ask for a seat, I am sure that many people will be embarrassed by that and stand up quickly.
    Of course she shouldn't have to, but as sad as it is there is not much you can do about people that are being selfish/inconsiderate or racist (whichever is applicable).

bryant.english likes this.

Gentleman from India - before I elaborate on your case would you please let us know for how long you have been living abroad ?

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    Gentleman from India - before I elaborate on your case would you please let us know for how long you have been living abroad ?
    Oh I would be interested as to how the answer would affect the situation.
    rani likes this.

To the opening poster; I agree with you, in HK there is racism against people of south and south-eastern asian origin. Usually these people are rude and unpleasant in their personalities to begin with or they are uneducated. But in all honesty, not all HK Chinese behave this way. You said no one gave up their seats for your pregnant wife in the bus. Please noted that this can happen to local HK pregnant women too; especially during rush hour time when the bus was jam-packed. But again; I agree with you there is racism in HK. And it's not right or fair. Still there are many open-minded, non-racist people live here.

I see it often on the MTR where elderly HK'ers have to stand. Though, once in one month is appalling from what you say.

I'd have to disagree that nobody gives up there seat. People gave up their seats for my wife almost without exception during the later stages of her pregnancy.

I wouldn't be surprised if racism is a factor here. I've heard racist comments about philipinas, Indonesians, Indians and Africans here. I'm not saying this is a Hong Kong issue, obviously. In UK my wife got some comments including a heckle of "how much did she cost". Despite this I'd say UK and HK probably have less racism than your average country, that's for sure. Think Spain and Italy even at sporting events

Unfortunately, it's everywhere. Including right here on geoexpat.

As others have said, a mixture of the natural tendency in HK not to give up your seat and racism. Try having a pregnant Filipina wife! I think she got a seat about 25% of the time on the MTR.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast