Like Tree32Likes

Prenuptial Agreements...

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Football, I take objection to your last paragraph. The truth of it is that individuals tend to be pretty unsophisticated negotiators. Negotiating against what is usually an insurance company is intimidating. To force someone through that is unfair. I get that. I don't htink it has much to do with lawyers' fees.

Anyway, yes, the hardest part of this will be some form of exhaustive list which I mentioned is a recipe for distaster. How can you possibly predict what triggers a relationship meltdown? For example, I like my cups of tea in a very particular way and I would be devastated if Mrs LC decided to fanny around with my famous mix. That in itself could lead to marital trouble!

When mushy stuff like feelings and emotions and love is involved, it is impossible to dictate the terms on a piece of paper. However, we both believe that it is a good reference point if we are ever very angry or hurt by the actions of the other. If you ever met us, you would say we're the least likely to ever get divorced so I am not sure why we're placing such an emphasis on it. Freud would surely help in a situation like this. Maybe it's because I fancy my mother. I don't know.

Anyway, maybe a term sheet is the right way to approach this. Set out general principles and not to expect an iron clad work of legal art by me. That way it has a bearing on a court's decision and gives us a guideline in times of trouble. That, however, does not prohibit us from flitting our assets away for legal funding.
    At mediation they still had a lawyer, it was just faster to get it done than waiting two years until a trial date could be set only to settle it all on the court house steps. I was objecting to legal counsel. Quite frankly for most minor bodily injury cases back home a smart person could research cases and settlements and then pay a lawyer just to assess the insurer's offer. The lawyers (some are ok with it) but not always the insurers depending on who they assign as counsel.

Pre-nups will never take away the anger and fighting in the event of an ugly split up even if accepted by the courts. It is better in my view to try family mediation as no one can see 10 years out as to how a marriage will play out or what the children's situation will be when some might not even be born.
    Natfixit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:

Pre-nups will never take away the anger and fighting in the event of an ugly split up even if accepted by the courts. It is better in my view to try family mediation as no one can see 10 years out as to how a marriage will play out or what the children's situation will be when some might not even be born.
    Ohhh the joys of failed marriages...

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7