Who knows why it's hard to make friends in HK!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I'm a newbie in HK now, for about 3 months. But alas I am a 26/m, not a girl. I'm born and raised in Canada, but my parents are from HK. I look forward to chilling w/ anyone who's cantonese or english speaking. I don't know too many english speakers here in HK. Anyone interested can pm me or even email me. Hope to hear from u. =P

Last edited by Bomberman; 25-02-2005 at 10:15 PM.

Unhappy 40+ yr old women

Hey Mimi,

It can be tough for 40+ yr old SINGLE women, with no kids too.

Most older gweilo people here (in my experience) are partnered up / have kids / the guys are out for a Chinese or Phillipino chick / or have damaged histories, ex wives or kids to whine about / support / look after, or are flyboys on a spree while their families are unaware and they are therefore unlikely to commit, and find it hard to be just friends...so....the choices are slim. Believe me, I could write you a guide book about 'les types' hanging at LKF and Wan Chai.

Many of the women in said age group have husbands with squillion dollar contracts, and thus have a lot of time on their hands. They (typically) wave their diamonds about in some sort 'superiority' (oh yes, it's the attitude that is very clear) at those of us who work long hours for every dollar. You're right - there is not much in common.

However, there is hope. I DO have friends who are 40+, work full time, have partners, and kids - either here or at boarding schools elsewhere, avec their diamonds but MINUS the attitude. I have met them through work associations, or by standing at the bus stop, or in the supermarket. It has not been easy to establish rapport around all of their family and my work commitments. I put up with a lot of quirkiness that perhaps I would not have done before (I have learned tolerance ! a good thing), because I need them for a social life and for some semblance of sanity.

Not much else around for older women in HK (or - have I missed something during my 5 years? Do tell). Maybe I ought to do something about it, you know, start something, arrange dinner etc...but....time, time, time and commute, commute, commute = tired, tired, tired. It's true - as one gets on, the energy does dissipate. Sigh.

And last but not least, please will ALL the genuine, unattached, friendly, fun and interesting older men step up to the plate? Is there a place where you guys hang? because I'm sick of liars and cheaters.

OK - now it's up to Geo Expats. Help me keep the faith - do I have reason to hope the situation will improve for older women, or that there is a place for us to go without 20 something's calling the shots? (Nothing against them - I have many friends of this younger dimension - but you know, bin there and dunnit, and now it's too LOUD!)

Actually most of the time I am very happy in HK, and find lots to do... just this aspect gets to me sometimes (i.e., 1) no genuine men looking to commit if the vibe is right and 2) a place for older single persons to hang. HK provides opportunities for reinventing self, as one would never be able to do 'back home', but the way some of my compatriots treat others is abominable. They've forgotten their manners because of the financial divide (they now have more $$$) and to wit, their true colours show. Disheartening.

Sigh. I'll feel better tomorrow.

A.

Sorry - don't know why that post appeared twice. Ho hum. Sorry to bore you all.
    A.

it's hard to meet people here? really? are you people shy? I've had no trouble meeting and making lots of local friends.

....you're only 34. And male. QED.
    A.

Maclehose hiking company for December ?

Quote Originally Posted by doves:
    How did the coffee gathering go? I work Mon-Fri in office so I can't get out for afternoon tea. And I haven't read the forum for weeks... I've been quite busy with work lately.

Hey, anyone's up for hiking (an easy trail walking) at Discovery Bay on 22-Oct(Fri)? Some of my friends is organising this and I haven't been hiking for a long time (Autumn is the best weather in HK for this activity). BTW, I'd love to meet some Aussie people as well -- haven't been back for several years... And I used to live in Sydney too!
    Sorry, can't commit to that weekend just now - but anyone up for some bit(s) of the Maclehose trail during December weekends ?

A GeoExpat hiking club in the making too ?....

Let's go hiking! Let's know more - I can't go Fridays, but weekends - yep.

A.

Hi AngeHK, I am in the 40+ bracket too, and not so new but new nonetheless to HK, am looking to make some friends in my age group. If you or anyone comes to know of any activity happening let me know. Please! I love meeting new people, going out and just chilling!

movienight - tomorrow, 30th august 2005
    sept party - 3rd sept 2005
    sept dinner - 14th sept 2005

show up with an open heart and a big smile and i'm sure you will have a great time with us...no matter what the age-gap or culture-differences... after all, we are on the same boat.

this website has been a lot of help to me in adjusting to the hk-life..made good friends with many..my flatmate is a girl whom i met on here...absolutely fabulous, dahlings!!

Dear all,

I am new to the site, but yes I do find it hard to make friends in HK. Though I was born and raised here, I left for US when I was really little, so don't have many friends here. I've been back for almost 2 years now, and I do go out to LKF once a week (or sometimes both Fri & Sat nites), but seems like the local crowd tends to hang out with their own clique and don't really share & have fun with an open heart. So, it'll be cool if I can join the crowd, meet new people and chill.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast