Like Tree15Likes

Live-in maid arrangements

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

If you have a two storey house it should be not much of a privacy issue - correct me if wrong there.

As for what to do after "working" hours, difficult to tell but it's true that most work at least until 9 or 9.30 since many will clean up the dishes after diner, take out the garbadge and in some cases, put the kids to bed (I said SOME cases).

But I am sure if you allow her NOT to work after say, 8 PM and if she has her own TV, Internet Access and so on and so forth she will be able to take care of herself: ie take shower, e-mail with friends, Facebook, watch a little movie...

that sounds reasonable. It's just that the maid's room is on the ground floor and the whole ground floor is open. So that's why I worry about privacy. The living room is on the ground floor as well and that's where we are staying most of the time in the evening.

So why not give her a proper bedroom so you both have some privacy?

get her a tv/dvd player and her own landline. she'll be extremely happy and will happily be in her room or tell her she can go out if she wants.

Quote Originally Posted by pumi23:
    That is our main reason why we want a maid, so that she cooks for us. We are fed up by the take-away food here and we have seldom time to cook at home because we work long hours. We need someone at home to cook us some healthy food for lunch and dinner.
    Got a freezer? Got tupperware? We were in the exact same situation as you a while back and just bit the bullet and invested about 2 hours each week to cook about 10-15 portions of tasty & healthy food to throw in the freezer. Heck of a lot easier than dealing with maid arragements, although we do have a person come in to clean once a week.
    luckycat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Got a freezer? Got tupperware? We were in the exact same situation as you a while back and just bit the bullet and invested about 2 hours each week to cook about 10-15 portions of tasty & healthy food to throw in the freezer. Heck of a lot easier than dealing with maid arragements, although we do have a person come in to clean once a week.
    That's close to where we came out.

Alternatively it sounds like you need a live out maid. It is possible, I think, to get immigration to agree to one of those.

@Char Siu King. We do have both and we do precook some food now, just not enough for 2times a day.
    Not every food tastes good after being frozen and preheated.

@MovingIn07: I though live out maids are illegal? Can you explain that a bit more?

my next door neighbour owns the whole 3 floors of a village house, he still pays for his helper to live outside, he pays something like 1K on top of her full salary, the helpers lives in the next village 5-10 mins walking time. the helper rents a bed with other helpers in the next village, on sundays you hear the helpers having a massive party, Karaoke Hell, you can hear them singing away from the top of my hill.

I am looking into this when I get a helper as I only rent 1 floor so its going to be a tight fit, especially with 4 dogs running around

@wtbhotia: that sounds perfect for us. We wouldnt mind spending 1k more so we have our privacy at home. The question is: is this illegal or not?

It's legal if you get specific permission from Immigration to do it. Which is possible, though rare. More common to just do it illegally. Entirely up to you.