Like Tree36Likes

Pick pocketed on the MTR

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by limepickle:
    I feel safe in HK and probably naively just didn't expect anything like this to happen here. If I'm walking around the markets or late at night I’m more vigilant … and in London, Paris, etc, I would keep my wallet on me.

I still think HK is super safe but I guess I'll be more wary in future - there are opportunistic little toerags in every country, I guess.

The policeman said that it has been happening on the MTR more frequently recently and that they're complete pros. In and out in seconds and nobody sees a thing.
    You have to consider the type of crimes. For a city of 7+ million, Hong Kong is very safe if you consider the relatively low number of serious and violent crimes (i.e murder, rape, armed robbery). But in terms of more "minor" property-related crimes like pickpocketing and shoplifting, it can be high in specific locales (i.e Causeway Bay, Mongkok). There are also quit a few fraud-related crimes, but they usually target the elderly and guillble. So you are right to feel safe walking on the streets in terms of personal safety. But, in terms of safeguarding property, better be more careful.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 18-08-2011 at 04:55 PM.
    limepickle likes this.

MinhVu1

but hk is still safe right?

Quote Originally Posted by MinhVu1:
    Yes indeed, safer than almost any major city especially with the high population density that we enjoy here in Hong Kong.

HK people just want da money. few do have hearts... Be careful

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpie:
    HK people just want da money. few do have hearts... Be careful
    Rarely HK locals, most of the petty crime is caused from China imports on 2 way permits.

I've lived in the supposedly red light district of Kowloon for the last year. I have NEVER seen any problems.

HK is one of the safest places I have ever lived in.

Its easy to become complacent here so thanks for the post, it's a wake up call for all of us to be a bit more vigilant.

Original Post Deleted
    Haha, yes, I suppose you are right.

At least the girls downstairs are not doped up crack heads. When I lived near the red light district in Sydney you wouldn't approach people in the street late at night. Saw alot of robberies and even saw a guy running down the street chasing a whore in leopard underwear.

Hmmm. maybe my choice of location around the world is a bit off.
    Last edited by virago; 28-08-2011 at 12:00 AM.

MinhVu1

thanks well I do know this I live in America and its been my dream since a kid to move to HK and I will do whatever it takes to move and start my own business there as well. Currently am going through things with school but when its over I will graduate and start off entry level in operations in local security companies gain some exp and push hard. everyone that said it was safe and how it was I knew that when I went 3 times but thank you so much again.

thanks well I do know this I live in America and its been my dream since a kid to move to HK and I will do whatever it takes to move and start my own business there as well. Currently am going through things with school but when its over I will graduate and start off entry level in operations in local security companies gain some exp and push hard. everyone that said it was safe and how it was I knew that when I went 3 times but thank you so much again.
    1.) Yes, HK is safe and the vast majority of crime is simple property crime - the assailants are usually very cowardly so it is all 'grab and run' stuff. Not like the US where you can never really be sure whether your potential assailant has a gun (although of course violent crime in the US isn't all that common either unless one is involved in a drug transaction).

2.) I note that your name is Vietnamese and that makes me curious - what is the attraction to HK? Why do you specifically want to move to HK to start a 'business'? What kind of business do you want to start and why in HK? Just wondering.
    MinhVu1 and dear giant like this.