Like Tree3Likes

Help needed: Very small bugs everywhere in my flat - caused by humidity?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

We had them in our apartment a few months ago too when HK was probably at the height of its humidity. They were mostly on the bedroom ceiling though. I didn't notice them at first (thought it was an odd speck of dust or two) until I saw one of them moving. I still thought it was an odd bug or two. But they multiplied pretty quickly, and I noticed they were hanging about the darker patches. I was soooo disgusted. Didn't know what to do but wiped them all off hoping they wouldn't fall into my hair/eyes/mouth in the process! Then I switched on the dehumidifier in the room for several days. They didn't come back. But I think the infestation must not have been as extensive as the original poster's.

I looked up the internet on cleaning mouldy spots (I think that's what the dark patches were). Bleach solution seems the way to go. In addition, when spring comes round next year, I'll make sure my dehumidifier is switched on...

Quote Originally Posted by Wailing:
    Hi Dave and pORT,

Can you tell me which building you are residing. My friends highly recommend me moving to Bellagio for the view.

If both of your flats are in a brand new building, then it cannot be Bellagio...correct??

Did the pest control company do a good job??

Wailing

Sorry to say, but I m living in Bellagio... Apart from the bugs and some construction noise it is a great place to live.

But the rents are going up like crazy....

I live in Bellagio too and also got these tiny white ants initially when I moved in 4 months ago.
    With the Air-con on every nights, these just disappeared completely without fumigation.
    I am in a B flat on Tower 1, which get some good sunshine and breeze, I guess this does prevent humidity from stagnating in the flat.
    We also usually leav ewindows open during the day.

DaveD, pls let us know still how the fumigation worked, in case thes come back next summer....

Other than that, fully agree with you, Bellagio is a fantastic place to live. Am sad it took me 9 years in HK to find out about this whole area between Sham Tseng , Castle Peak Road and Gold Coast.
    An affordable mini 'Sai Kung'.

was looking for help, same thing is happening in my flat as well, at the moment only a few but increasing.

i normally avoid using A/C (cost and don't really need it, only use it a couple of hours at night). i do run a dehumidifier, but at night, seems i'll it keep it running during the day as well.

any other suggestions?

thanks!!

Trying to revive this thread.

Well the bugs are still there.

BTW the OP got some company in to have a look at the problem, could you pass on the company details to me.

I'll also be asking my management co, but wanted to get a couple of quotes.

Also, anyone else got any companies they could recommend.

thanks!

Thanks for the thread of information here. I have recently moved to HK and experiencing the same problem. The bugs appear to be concentrated around an area of the wall that acquired damp stains. Let me know if anyone finds a good pest control contractor or off-the-shelf pesticide. I've been using Bio-Kill to start with but it's not working. Back to the vacuum.....

Had the same problem a month ago in my bedroom. Got rid of them by
    1) Removing mold from walls/ceiling using bleach.
    2) Fumigation using one of those Raid Baygon Foggers

srd likes this.

So THIS is why the Raid/Baygon foggers are sold out everywhere! I live in Central and do a bi-monthly thing to control the cockroaches (I live over a restaurant) and they've been sold out in every Wellcome and Park'n'Shop in Central! Now I know why.

srd likes this.

also.. take out their food source... coz they love grains... so what i do is put everything (include instant noodle, spaghetti, bread) in the fridge and those insert just disappear after a week... =)

hope this helps..

I had those bugs all over my curtains in my bedroom.There were alot of them! Tried bug spray but it didn't help at all.
    I was very close to giving up my curtains all together but decided to just give it one last try.
    So I took everything out, and leave it in the sun(at noon!) for a few hours.(and whacked it with a stick now and then, to shake them off fabric) I was also told by my neighbour that I can put some white flower oil there so I did.
    Repeated that a few times and now I always have my dyhumidifier on, they are completely gone.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast