Like Tree42Likes

Homesickness

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

You guys crack me up. No I don't need my parents. I would need to take care of them instead of the other way around.

I just need to see familiar things. I walked around Taste supermarket in hopewell center yesterday and it did the trick.

Plus tired of people scaring me about mold. And then I see mold is the bathroom of my new apt is a shock.

Plus I am

dear giant likes this.

Plus I am .... moldy?

bookblogger likes this.

I am too!

You shut up!

bookblogger likes this.

Veering slightly off topic

I left the UK to get away from people like me and I wouldn't dream of wanting to bring over 'a taste of home' etc, A little corner of England in HK for example absolutely horrifies me.

bookblogger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    How could Australia ever have been new to you, since you are from there?
    Immigrant. Born in the UK - moved with my (Australian) husband and naturalised later.

There is a quote which I like:

“All men should strive to learn before they die, what they are running from, and to, and why.” ~ James Thurber

When I travel, I often reflect upon how much of the world is the same. Dig beneath the surface and everyone essentially wants the same things from life - health, happiness, ability to provide for their families.

I find adjustment at the 2.5-3 months mark the hardest. Connections will make all the difference.

hungryegghead and vinyljunky like this.

Is that why you only wear G2000 clothes now?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Veering slightly off topic

I left the UK to get away from people like me and I wouldn't dream of wanting to bring over 'a taste of home' etc, A little corner of England in HK for example absolutely horrifies me.

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    Is that why you only wear G2000 clothes now?
    Ha hell no!

I am from Chicago and yea HK does seem more rowdy than usual. Feel free to PM me as friends. =). Skype?

Quote Originally Posted by hungryegghead:
    I think it is all the newness. Once my stuff arrives it will feel better. Small things like bounty paper towels, my tempurpedic pillow, method hand wash, my yoga mat, my knives, cutting board, pots and pans, and my desktop.
    For the familiar US goods (groceries, cleaning products, household stuff, etc.), have you had a look around:
    - A&M (located in Shun Tak Centre, in Sheung Wan)
    - Gateway (located in Sheung Wan, will have to google the exact address)
    - Americome (located in Happy Valley, small shop)

I still miss the small things sometimes (after years here) and often a trip to one of these places to stock up on things from 'home' makes me feel better. Good luck settling in and if you have any questions about where to find this or that, a particular cuisine at a restaurant or general HK questions, feel free to send me a message - have been here a while and remember when I first arrived my friends who knew their way around HK kept me sane.

ps. either running the aircon all the time, or investing in a couple good dehumidifiers will take care of all your mold problems if you do a good cleaning (preferably with a bleach product) once (not sure if you have mold issues but seems like you might have heard about them...) The key is to prevent it from starting.
    Last edited by hello_there; 23-08-2011 at 02:05 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast