Like Tree25Likes

Preparation for an apocalypse

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Actually, I have an earthquake kit - behavior ingrained from living in San Francisco. Hurricane Katrina should have been a wake up call to all Yanks that the cavalry won't come riding into town to save the day when Mother Nature goes on a bender. Wife and I updated the kit right after the earthquake/tsunami/nuclear disaster in Japan.
    There are lists for specific emergency kits (earthquake, hurricane, etc.) available with a quick google search. But what you need for long-term survival is the right knowledge: Know a number of ways to make a fire without matches. Know a number of ways to procure drinking water. Know how to build some basic shelters. Know a bunch of ways to procure food in your environment. Les Stroud has written books and made TV shows on survival skills. His show was called Survivor Man. The various Armed Forces have "official" books and guides on survival skills and techniques. There are even camps you can attend to learn/practice such skills.
    There is a book (later made into a TV series) called "Worst Case Scenario," that offered some advise (though some it sounded quite dubious). It was sometimes amusing, "How to jump out of a moving car without getting killed," and practical, "How to bribe your way out of a country." I actually use some of the tips - I always carry US currency as that seems to be universally accepted as a bribe in the more remote parts of the world.

Last edited by huja; 19-08-2011 at 03:02 PM.

We still have our emergency bucket from New Zealand - where the GOvernment regularly has adverts on this subject on the TV and disseminates leaflets as to what should be in the bucket etc. We kept it by the front door in NZ (as per the instructions - easy to grab as you run outside in an earthquake). So yes, I have considered these things.

(PS - its in a bucket because a bucket is supposed to be rather useful in an emergency - collecting water, washing etc etc).

Penicillin - you can ask at most pharmacy's and they will sell to you. If you fail, try FANDA in Central (worldwide house). I'd go for more than just Penicillin - a complete first-aid kit with wound care kit I think.

The other items I think about are a tent and sleeping bag etc. (We have all of these because we hike).

Here in HK, the emergency that I think about are storm surges. If a typhoon hits (direct hit) the storm surge would be like a tsunami, lifting our boat off the poles that hold the marina gangways to the sea bed. Then we would hurtle like a piece of jetsam towards the hills behind the GC, or the towerblocks, or out to sea depending on which way the wind is blowing. So I try to ensure we have a full tank of petrol (to start the engine and try at least to steer) and also keep the electricity generator (backup, normally we use mains power) full of fuel and the water tank full of fuel.

For any of the less "normal" emergencies LC mentioned, actually I am comforted that my home has an electricity generator, a water tank, and can move if necessary!

errr may i ask - which area are you looking at to build a bunker / fallout shelter ? my flat is tiny as it is that building a shelter to shield against the post-apocalyptic world is nearly impossible unless of course my landlord would agree converting the bathroom...

I would be crap at all that. Someone gave me a live chicken yesterday as a get well present. I gave it away, no way I was killing it (and my father was a butcher!)

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:

To LC, if you are the only person left alive make sure you have plenty of tissues.
    I assume you mean because of all the crying you would do for lost loved ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Star Gazer:
    errr may i ask - which area are you looking at to build a bunker / fallout shelter ? my flat is tiny as it is that building a shelter to shield against the post-apocalyptic world is nearly impossible unless of course my landlord would agree converting the bathroom...
    Sorry that would be an illegal structure and so you would be required to remove it immediately

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I would be crap at all that. Someone gave me a live chicken yesterday as a get well present. I gave it away, no way I was killing it (and my father was a butcher!)
    You blew it. In a couple of weeks or months, you would have been awash in eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I assume you mean because of all the crying you would do for lost loved ones?
    Of course, what else?

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    You blew it. In a couple of weeks or months, you would have been awash in eggs.
    I think I would have had a long wait for HIM to lay eggs
    legallytanned and mrdollars like this.

I would get some broad spectrum antibiotics considering the majority of bugs out now that are resistant and have been resistant to Pen for years.

A mixed stockpile of

Antibiotics:
    sulfa drugs, azithromycin, diflucan, keflex (Pharmacies mostly non script as of 2010)

Pain Killers:
    Morphine, Codiene, basic OTC Shit (low dose codiene non script 2010), higher dosages require script

Essentials:
    Epipen or something more mil-grade for poison gas/allergies, Script only

You will need food and water to last you and your family a few months. Food can be dehydrated, or MRE (The shit we ate when we were off base on patrol).

Weapons:
    You need some high capacity, high firepower weapons for crowd control, AK's/AR-15's would be the easiest to come by, parts would be easy to find and salvage, ammo is easier. AK's are less maintenance than the AR.

Pistol for sidearm, tactical shot gun for close quarter combat. Go for pump or auto on the shotgun with a 8 to 10 round extension, alternate between slugs and 00 buckshot when loading.

Geiger counter for detecting radiation, should be calibrated once a year, Iodine tabs for radiation exposure.

Seems impossible to do in HK, especially with the draconian gun laws and shoe box sized apartments. You will also need a bunker or some form of shelter to fend off the hungry/crazies/mobs or at least something to move and haul all this shit around.

Last edited by HongKongFoot; 19-08-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast