Like Tree44Likes

Gift for our helper

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I hate to be an echo but money is really the best way to go. Eventhough you may think she has "plenty" the mere fact she is working here, away from her children, should be a sign that money is a pretty major concern to her family. She's not working for trinkets, despite what that might say on a "personal" level to you. Every dollar spent in the Philippines is going to go much farther than what is bought here, and you give her the freedom to decide what to spend it on, which is the ultimate in respectfulness.

TheBrit likes this.

and why not make it a grand?

always great to have a bit of cash for the holiday ?

she can big it up over there and really treat her family..

If she's working overseas to support 2 children, more money will be appreciated. She can use it to take her children out for a nice dinner when she visits them. Maybe, you could position it like that?

Perhaps also token gifts for the children - things unique to Hong Kong. No matter how well intentioned gifts are, money is still seen as the highest form of appreciation (especially in Asian culture). Imagine if your company gave out plasma TVs or holidays for end of year bonus vs monetary bonus.

Personally, don't ever give me money as a personal present but I was raised overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    USA again FT ;-)?
    Admittedly the US is the preferred destination for DHs, given the colonial history. However, I am sure that she would gladly accept a passport issued by the UK, France, Germany, etc., hence the 'equivalent' moniker...

Quote Originally Posted by Laksa Girl:
    If she's working overseas to support 2 children, more money will be appreciated. She can use it to take her children out for a nice dinner when she visits them. Maybe, you could position it like that?

Perhaps also token gifts for the children - things unique to Hong Kong. No matter how well intentioned gifts are, money is still seen as the highest form of appreciation (especially in Asian culture). Imagine if your company gave out plasma TVs or holidays for end of year bonus vs monetary bonus.

Personally, don't ever give me money as a personal present but I was raised overseas.
    Ignore advice like this. A 'nice dinner'? 'Token gifts'? These may be nice for a middle class, I don't know, Aussie or US or British family, but Phils? C'mon.

Give her MONEY.

Life is generally extremely tough in the Philippines. People are poor. Families and what they call kinship groups are vast. Money goes a long way. Where in the Philippines is her home?

Yes the helper needs money but the OP wants to buy something more personal or meaningful, why is that so difficult to understand ?

If the OP bought them a holiday that the family could enjoy together, that could give them memories to last a life time, allow them to have a nice holiday that they might not reward themselves with if it were their own money from their own pockets.
    If she gives money that will just go into savings which in the grand scheme of things $500 won't make or break anything.

MovingIn07 likes this.

To all those suggesting money as a gift, it is quite clear that the OP doesn't want to give money as a gift. The giving of a gift is a two way process. Christ alive.

OP - what about making a photobook for the helper, perfurme for the girl and find out what video games the boy play son and get him that? or a football kit?

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    To all those suggesting money as a gift, it is quite clear that the OP doesn't want to give money as a gift. The giving of a gift is a two way process. Christ alive.

OP - what about making a photobook for the helper, perfurme for the girl and find out what video games the boy play son and get him that? or a football kit?
    Very little football in the Phils. Basketball. I doubt that he has video games, not that common here (each game would cost a couple of week's wages).

I think the idea of treating the family would go down well. When the helpers go back they are pretty much expected to treat the family. Alternatively loads of chocolates!

I think that idea, Hull. OP, what say you?

Esprit bag/purse for the girl. Hard Rock HK shirt for the boy.