Like Tree44Likes

Gift for our helper

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Gift for our helper

I have mentioned that before, but our helper is pretty fantastic. She just pulled off a delicious 5 course menu for our guests including a perfect panna cotta with berry cream for dessert.

anyway, we are going on holidays and she will take the opportunity to return to the Philippines. We would like to give her a smallish but sensible gift. Does anyone have any good ideas for something that would be useful for her family back there?

Red envelope.

By smallish, do you mean in terms of size or less expensive? If the former, an Ipad would be nice.. or an ITouch if that is too expensive.

dear giant likes this.

Money would be best I think.

Star Gazer likes this.

thanks for initial ideas. i explicitly wanted to avoid money since she is on fair terms and gets all kind of small extras during xmas and cny and other occasions. we wanted to buy a gift that she could bring home to her 11 y old son and 23 y old daughter and something they will appreciate while not setting any expectations.

and yes, by smallish we meant less expensive.

Last edited by cookie09; 21-08-2011 at 10:34 PM.

What is the budget? Flashy mobile phones would go down great.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    What is the budget?
    havent thought about it in detail, but maybe 500 HKD?

Jesus Cookie, is a small bonus for her hard work and servitude going to break your damm bank? Give her cash so she can buy whatever she needs that she can fit in her Balikbayan box.

Arent you on fair terms with your employer and you do get a bonus do you not? Why would this not translate to her? Cause she is a "servant" instead of a true employee?

They work for peanuts, a small bonus for her means a whole lot more than to you. Especially since you are going on vacation, its probably one less bottle of wine to you, to her she can buy essentials for her children.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    thanks for initial ideas. i explicitly wanted to avoid money since she is on fair terms and gets all kind of small extras during xmas and cny and other occasions. we wanted to buy a gift that she could bring home to her 11 y old son and 23 y old daughter and something they will appreciate while not setting any expectations.

and yes, by smallish we meant less expensive.
    Freetrader likes this.

Money is the way to go. To make it more personal, you could attach a card telling her how much you appreciate her work.

For your $500HK budget, I know a guy who can supply sourdough starter. What better way to say, "Thank you for a job well done," than bread made with wild yeast?!

Last edited by huja; 21-08-2011 at 11:29 PM.
    dear giant, TheBrit and luckycat like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast