Like Tree296Likes

Do you find the domestic helper fiasco about helpers' right of permanent residency rather interesting?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Another question, can't PRs get dependent visas for children without fulfilling any financial criteria ?
    I always assumed this but don't actually know for sure...

Ms.M likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I have yet to decide my own view on this. Before the debate I was probably on the "racist, why not let them have PR" side of the debate; now I am more considered and thinking about all sides, emotionally the "unfairness" of how DH's are treated here rankles; logically the commercial arguments for having DH's and how even worsely (I know, not grammatical) they are treated in ppines balance out to a degree.....

So I will sit on the fence. I do think the scare tactics employed in the media are daft though. We had a more rational argument in that other thread than I have seen in the media, perversely!
    I felt the same too.

Recently, a topic has been discussing how an American (who has a work visa) brings his filipino girlfriend to HK before they get married. One solution suggested was hiring her as a DH which is totally possible. Does it show that DH already gets an advantange to get a "work visa" over the women from countries like USA or UK? Does DH need to show qualification as a DH for approval?

I believe it was a win-win solution between Philippine and Hong Kong when they started this program and probably the two governments had agreed the "special terms" which becomes an "unfair terms" for some people today.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    Although the post from Dipper was thought provoking it missed a basic point. Can you hire a DH from Germany for example.
    Can't you? (genuine question here). As long as you sponsor her/him a work visa I would have assumed you could: ie on the ground for example that you are a German family, both parents are working and you want your 2 kids to be looked after by a fellow countrywoman/man who can provide them with education in their own language, know their culture....

Quote Originally Posted by SiuMaiTaiTai:
    Can't someone filipino working for a bank gain PR after 7 years of working in HK?
    Of course, I know an architect and an analyst who are filipino and here on 'normal' working visas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Can't you? (genuine question here). As long as you sponsor her/him a work visa I would have assumed you could: ie on the ground for example that you are a German family, both parents are working and you want your 2 kids to be looked after by a fellow countrywoman/man who can provide them with education in their own language, know their culture....
    I'm quite sure that there is no restriction..

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    My real piss off is DAB who are frightening everyone with the scenario that if DH get PR then whole family would move here.
    Please explain why that isn't exactly what would happen....wouldn't just be filipinas, it would open the floodgates to anyone who couldn't fit the current criteria, unmarried couples for example would surely see this as an obvious loophole.

BTW, I'm not saying it's right or wrong I'm only saying it's absolutely obvious that it would open floodgates; there would be a whole new kind of criminal created overnight exploiting this loophole for cash. Who of us on Dependent Visas wouldn't have become DH to our partners if we couldn't have met the DV criteria and this new proposal was enacted.

Hong Kong is small and crowded, a line had to be drawn in the sand somewhere. Lines in the sand are always unfair to somebody, somewhere..
    klebestift likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    ...Lines in the sand are always unfair to somebody, somewhere..
    Except for mainlanders, for whom the floodgates are thrown wide open and who are just as likely to bring in dependants and rely on welfare.

Apparently this arrangement isn't the slightest bit "unfair to HK locals..."
    dear giant and MovingIn07 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    Except for mainlanders, "
    mainlanders...? Oh you mean China, yes well, Hong Kong's actually part of China Dreadnought...but I'm very sure that you know that already?

Except for mainlanders, for whom the floodgates are thrown wide open and who are just as likely to bring in dependants and rely on welfare.

My wife and I employ a very nice p/t cleaning lady who happens to have moved to HK from the Mainland after marrying an HKer and bearing him a child. Her husband literally disappeared after she moved here and she kept his public housing space and has been receiving welfare ever since. She visits the Mainland very often and, on one of these trips, met a Mainland guy whom she married and had kid #2 with. The Mainland guy recently got permission to move to HK and has set up house with our cleaning lady in her public housing flat.

We're living through HK's second colonial epoch. HK is being flooded with Mainlanders in the same way that Xinjiang and Tibet are.

So you're proposing fighting fire with fire....I don't know.....what are you saying?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast