Like Tree57Likes

Smoking allowed indoors now?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

speaking of smoking, according to yesterday's SCMP : "HK on track to becoming first smoke-free city"

Hong Kong News Headlines | Hong Kong's premier newspaper online | SCMP.com

Do a google search for the above article and add "SCMP" and you should be able to get the article for free.

The article (with its apparent 11% smoking rate) is patently wrong though.

I was in bars in Kowloon on Sat night and almost everyone in them was smoking. This means that a) the indoor smoking ban is not enforced at all, and b) these 'weekend' smokers aren't counted in the govt's figures. The real smoking rate in HK is probably 40-50%.

Morrison and dear giant like this.

I have also read that article

I quote Dr.Judith Mackay “ With low female rates of 3 per cent to 5 per cent – common to Asian countries.”

In my opinion, this is a positive stereotype.
    First of all, Asia is far too big a continent (!) to make such generalizations.
    To give a few examples, in Israel the female smoking rate is 24 per cent,
    in Syria 10%, in Turkey 20- 24 per cent.
    Further East we have Bangladesh with 23.8% per cent, Nepal with 29 percent, and Pakistan with 9 per cent.
    If we focus on East-Asia then we have Japan with 13.4 per cent, Mongolia with 25.5 per cent, Myanmar with 22.3 per cent, and Philippines with 11%.
    Just to mention a few countries that defy Dr. Mackay’s assessment.

The 4% Dr. Mackay claims, so to say the morally impeccable East-Asian female, is the result of chronic - if not to say blatant - underreporting,e.g. HK & Korea

For China, Vietnam, and Indonesia it might be true, but Big Tobacco has not fully started in China and Vietnam, due to entry barriers.

The percentage numbers for the countries mentioned above are derived from the book “Global Efforts to Combat Smoking” by Goel & Nelson, 2008, page 17 following. The book is available at HK Central Library

Last edited by Morrison; 26-09-2011 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    speaking of smoking, according to yesterday's SCMP : "HK on track to becoming first smoke-free city"

Hong Kong News Headlines | Hong Kong's premier newspaper online | SCMP.com

Do a google search for the above article and add "SCMP" and you should be able to get the article for free.
    Manila seems to be ahead - much tougher rules than in HK. Won't be enforced I am sure though.

For those of you who hang out at LKF and places, what is it that women usually smoke ?
    Marlboro green menthol, Virginia Slims, or any other brand you notice quite frequently ?
    Thanks

here some more background info on what happened in SK

"In 1988 South Korea opened its cigarette market to foreign companies under the threat of US trade sanctions. Despite strong social stigma against female smoking in South Korea, and restrictions on tobacco marketing to women and children, smoking rates among young Korean females increased from 1.6% in 1988 to 13% in 1998."

Globalization and Health | Abstract | The strategic targeting of females by transnational tobacco companies in South Korea following trade liberalisation

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    here some more background info on what happened in SK

"In 1988 South Korea opened its cigarette market to foreign companies under the threat of US trade sanctions. Despite strong social stigma against female smoking in South Korea, and restrictions on tobacco marketing to women and children, smoking rates among young Korean females increased from 1.6% in 1988 to 13% in 1998."

Globalization and Health | Abstract | The strategic targeting of females by transnational tobacco companies in South Korea following trade liberalisation
    USA! USA! USA!
    dear giant likes this.

That's right, GATT and WTO have opened the doors for big T.
    And there is more to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    For those of you who hang out at LKF and places, what is it that women usually smoke ?
    Marlboro green menthol, Virginia Slims, or any other brand you notice quite frequently ?
    Thanks
    ranges from any menthol marlboros, capri and virginia slims
    Morrison likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    The article (with its apparent 11% smoking rate) is patently wrong though.

I was in bars in Kowloon on Sat night and almost everyone in them was smoking. This means that a) the indoor smoking ban is not enforced at all, and b) these 'weekend' smokers aren't counted in the govt's figures. The real smoking rate in HK is probably 40-50%.
    In depth analysis BB, way to go :-)

Btw 40/50% of what? HK population? HK population adged over X to Y?

If I take the popluation (family / colleagues / friends) surrounding me, the rate is around 10%.

I recall an article read recently (not sure if it was the SCMP) but basically if you had smoked ONCE within a year, you were considered a smoker, so those "weekend" smokers would be included in the calculation (of course if they do not say so, no one will know...)

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast