Like Tree40Likes

Government ghettos - why?

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9

There seem to be many implications that living standards in housing estates are a lot worse than they are. For those of you who don't know about these areas let me just tell you a bit of what I know.

My mother in law lives in a court (similar to an estate except instead of cheap rent the government subsidises the cost of a mortgage, although you do need a deposit so its not for the poorest)... it is next to an estate, and I also work in a school within an estate, where most of the children live, in tin shui wai.

These places are not slums, there's very little crime, the kids wear shiny new clothes and play on their smartphones, and the buildings have security, cleaners etc. and are all relatively new.

There are shopping malls, fantastic transport links due to the high population, and I know for a fact that the schools are equipped amazingly. E.g. The school I work at has ipads for the kids to use in some lessons, a studio with amazing equipment for producing films, (this is a primary school, I certainly didn't have that in mine), a large football pitch and basketball courts, a well equipped library, etc.

Teaching standards are very good, with meticulous lesson planning (far too meticulous but never mind). There are 2 Native English teachers, and remember this is a government school in a 'slum'...

Yes some people are from the mainland but this seems to be given more importance than necessary, what is the problem with that? most of the strongest students in my school came from the mainland. Most people in Hong Kong have family from the mainland too. So if it's 'segregated' that's only true if you're comparing the youngest generation.

Basically, 'poverty' isn't a problem in HK... yes there is a huge income gap but there is also a huge gap between expensive shops/ restaurants/ houses/ gyms/ schools/ etc. Acnd cheap ones. And while the expensive ones are often better, the cheap or free options are certainly amongst the best you'll find in poor areas throughout the world.

People seem to have a really skewed view of HK.

Last edited by justjoe86; 03-09-2011 at 10:49 PM.
    Freetrader likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    So WHERE do YOU suggest they put 30,000 people then?
    Not all on in one mega-complex.

Why do you think it is better to have low income housing on such a scale?

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9