Windows XP Service Pack 2

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

Question Windows XP Service Pack 2

Just wanted to pose a question to all participants;

To all XP users, is it really WORTH the update?

Care to share your thoughts? and experiences (for those who have already downloaded it)? Pros and cons?...etc..

Just had to rebuild my system after my old IBM drive decided to die. Installed SP2 and the system is now much slower. As I have Norton I had to turn off their antivirus and also the firewall as I use a Linksys router so as SP2 is really a security update I do not really need it.

So I would leave off upgrading for a while and see if there are any more fixes to SP2 as you can download all of the major updates individually

fly

I also found it much slower at first, but after about 72 hours seemed back to normal. I'm not sure if it was due specifically to SP2, but the timing is quite coincidental if not.

Kevin,
    Why did you have to turn off Norton? SP2 doesn't have any AV specifically, does it? Or do you mean you just turned off the MS auto-checking, since you are (continuing to) use Norton? I also left my existing firewall turned on, as well as MS's new one, and no conflict yet.

what special or new functions does the SP2 have, besides the add on security and virus check functions ?

Fly,

I turned off MS firewall and AV, sorry I was not very clear in my last message. I use Norton antivirus and that seems to be set up OK and also as I connect through a broadband router I should not really need MS's firewall.

Lets see how my system works out, maybe there are some new hotfixes available already. I will also try to reinstall the system drivers and look for any new BIOS upgrades just in case.

The best thing you can do is: don't install Windows XP SP2. It's not stable and it's still full of bugs and problems. Wait till Microsoft releases a stabler version.

I guess I'm not understanding this "authoritative" thread. So people are saying that XP SP2 makes their computers slower. In what regards? In boot up time? In appliction usage time? In web download time? How much slower?

Others have said that it is buggy. Exactly which new features make it unstable and buggy. How are those changes different from the ones in XP SP1? What kind of problems, exactly, have been experienced.

I'm so sick and tired of people trying to sway the world with problems that apply only to them, because they don't have faster hardware, don't regularily update their anti-virus and OS, load 26 applications and expect a speed demon.

If this is not you and you have actually identified bugs that you can reproduce, why aren't you sending this information to Microsoft for them to fix?

Me thinks you are a MSCE

I think the fact that SP2 is buggy and still very insecure (you can remotely turn off the firewall ) is very well known, even MS lists many of it's of progs that will not work under SP2. I have had to install 3rd party mouse drivers to stop my mouse drifting all over the place and so far have had numerous little problems.

There have actually been several SP2 versions and fixes recently. I like the idea of reporting the bugs back to MS, maybe this time next year we will see some updates!