Like Tree250Likes

dilemma: Hong Kong vs Canada

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

What's a dago? Sounds Aussie for something.

Dago = WOP = mainly an insult to Italians.

To each his own, but in your shoes I would definitely pick Canada. One of the best countries in the world, with enormous opportunity and great physical beauty, great weather (well, at least in the West), etc. etc. etc...versus being a sort-of-stateless second-class person in a quasi-independant section of huge-but-troubled country. If you have the skills you can always come back to earn your future in HK. But I'd want to keep that get-out-of-jail-free card handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    for what? Maple syrup?
    For opportunities to speak French, bien évidemment!

Definitely Canada all the way, though one thing i don't miss is the Hay-fever...

ulanshka likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    What's a dago? Sounds Aussie for something.
    "Momma mia! A dago ate my baby!"
    josephc, Dreadnought and jimbo like this.

I don't understand why so many of you think that Canada is such a marvellous, flawless, human's paradise. Well, it's not! For one thing; if you aren't white there's the racism issue. Yes there is. Job opportunity is also much scarce in Canada and it's really boring there. And people are far from polite unlike what many others would assumed. In general, the customer service in HK is better than in Canada other than the fact that you cannot really refund anything you bought in HK. If Canada is really so great you won't see so many HKers return to HK from Canada permanently. Not only Chinese people, many local Canadians went down south to the US or Europe seeking for better career opportunities and a more vibrant society. Most well known Canadian actors and musicians got their fortune and fame from the States too. And don't get me started with the current Harper / conservative government there. The two main great things about Canada is their social benefits and great environment.

Char Siu King likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by YCC:
    I don't understand why so many of you think that Canada is such a marvellous, flawless, human's paradise. Well, it's not! For one thing; if you aren't white there's the racism issue. Yes there is. Job opportunity is also much scarce in Canada and it's really boring there. And people are far from polite unlike what many others would assumed. In general, the customer service in HK is better than in Canada other than the fact that you cannot really refund anything you bought in HK. If Canada is really so great you won't see so many HKers return to HK from Canada permanently. Not only Chinese people, many local Canadians went down south to the US or Europe seeking for better career opportunities and a more vibrant society. Most well known Canadian actors and musicians got their fortune and fame from the States too. And don't get me started with the current Harper / conservative government there. The two main great things about Canada is their social benefits and great environment.
    First of all, the comparison wasn't between the US and Canada, but between HK and Canada. The US wasn't given as an option. Nobody said Canada was a paradise - it's just better than HK in many ways. "Boring" is in the eye of the beholder - but I am not sure why you say Canada is boring. I suppose if mountain climbing, kayaking, grizzly tracking, and skiiing bore you, then yes, Canada may be boring (curious - what exactly can you do in HK that is so exciting that you can't do in Canada? I can't think of anything).

Customer service - mmm, don't know, but it seems a lot better in Canada to me at least.

And are you saying HK is less racist than Canada? The ethnic Chinese seem to be doing quite well in Canada considering what a racist country you think it is.

I suspect those who pick Canada are those who are more "adavanced" in life (ie 40/45 years old or more) who need better air, have made most of their career already and long for great benefits (and then you have HongKongFoot who loves Canada but that is because he can shoot bears with his pistols and drive his hummer in the country side...).

I may be wrong but many canadians I know here in HK, all plan on going back after a few years (for the reasons mentionned above: Air quality, space, benefits) but they are pretty franck also that in their opinion (not mine), Canada is "boring".

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    what exactly can you do in HK that is so exciting that you can't do in Canada? I can't think of anything).

For many ppl here it's not about what you can do, it's about the "energy" that you feel within the city.

HK, like NYC is a city where you feel things are happening, in constant movement...

I'm not sure you feel this in Calgary.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast