Golden Week - what is it?

Closed Thread

Golden Week - what is it?

I've been hearing about the various "Golden Weeks" in China and HK. Can anyone explain what they are, what they mean, when they are, and more importantly whether it involves any days off of work? I'm assuming these would be bad times to travel because of the crowds?

The only Golden Week I know only occurs in Japan (In romanji its pronounced somehting like "Ogata renkyu").

Its called golden week because som many holidays in Japan occur closely together don't remember all of them but Constitution Day, Children Day, Greenery/Nature Day, etc..(end of April begining of May).

Hong Kong & China observe the May 1 (Labor Day) holiday but no others.

Japanese do tend to travel a bit during that time.

From what I know, it's mean China's "week long" holiday. There were 2 "week long" holiday, 1st May and 1st October.

China will start a whole week holiday for this 2 day. HK have only 1 day off.

Last edited by erictby; 11-07-2007 at 02:44 PM.

There are 3 'Golden week' in PRC : The Labour day, The national day, and the Lunar new year.
    They might affect HK as some people will come HK.

golden Week for HK is when the mainland has long holidays so thousands of Mainlanders travel to HK for shopping and boost the economy.