Like Tree2Likes

English subs in cinemas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks, I'll check out the venues you mentioned. The movie I want to see is Makoto Shinkai's latest 'Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below' ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by packy_crusher:
    Have you picked up a bottle of shampoo lately and noticed that the ingredients label is also in English?
    I did buy two bottles of lemon drink a couple days ago because they were buy one get one free. I kinda worked it out because the special offer label had a big '1' and '2' on it (no English unfortunately). I need to improve my Chinese reading to a level where I can at least understand labels but that is another story!

I think the shampoo bottle is an interesting example, since both brands of shampoo my wife uses have no English on them at all (bought at mannings, etc).

There are foreign movies with (Japanese, Koean, Thai) with only Chinese subtitles. So too the soaps on TV. But major releases will have English subs too.

Don't you just hate subs taking up the screen?

Quote Originally Posted by Skinnypupp:
    This is true! For movies made in Hong Kong, they must have English subtitled, but it wasn't until 1963. Even though the reasons were sketchy, it had the nice effect of introducing HK cinema to the rest of the world
    The reasons were so the British authorities could check whether films were spreading pro-communist propaganda. But you are right, the side-effect was that HK movies then gained an overseas market from being intelligible to English readers.
    dear giant likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2