Like Tree56Likes

Traffic Summons -- Need Help

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Traffic Summons -- Need Help

Guys, am in a bit of a fix. I received a notice to identify driver for a traffic violation a few weeks back. Today I receive the fixed penalty demand note saying that i apparently did a traffic light violation. I am very sure that the only reason for this must have been that the lights just turned yellow to red and during that transition I must have crossed the light (it was in the morning during peak office hour traffic)

Want to seek advise from your experiences if I should Dispute Liability for Offence and then got to court and appear for summons to basically plea with the above that i crossed the light during transition from yellow to red ....

pls let me know your views ... problem is that i already have a few points accrued, so if these points get added --- i can be in trouble.

thks

Sounds like your a serial offender. What do you want? Get out of the fine because you were trying to beat the lights? Drive carefully from now on.

If you feel that you are right then contest it. It's your argument against the officer. I am not sure of costs but I am sure there are some fees attributed to contest it and costs to the court if you lose.

I doubt that you'd win a "you say, he says" debate in court against a police officer or traffic warden. I think basically you need to pay, and maybe go back to driving school.

Rules of the road are that a yellow traffic light means slow down to stop, not speed up to beat the red. There are cameras at junctions where this has been a problem and it seems you've been nabbed by one. There is nothing you can do except suck it up and be more careful next time. Arguing against a camera in court could land you a larger penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by jayblogs:
    Guys, am in a bit of a fix. I received a notice to identify driver for a traffic violation a few weeks back. Today I receive the fixed penalty demand note saying that i apparently did a traffic light violation. I am very sure that the only reason for this must have been that the lights just turned yellow to red and during that transition I must have crossed the light (it was in the morning during peak office hour traffic)

Want to seek advise from your experiences if I should Dispute Liability for Offence and then got to court and appear for summons to basically plea with the above that i crossed the light during transition from yellow to red ....

pls let me know your views ... problem is that i already have a few points accrued, so if these points get added --- i can be in trouble.

thks
    If a camera got you the only way you could get out of it is if someone else was driving....someone like Mr. Wong who went back to the mainland last week perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by jayblogs:
    I am very sure that the only reason for this must have been that the lights just turned yellow to red and during that transition I must have crossed the light
    But surely you must know that you can only pass when the light is green, not when it is yellow? So if it turned red while you were proceeding, you were proceeding on a yellow light. What grounds are there to dispute your ticket?

just accept that you blew it and have to bear full responsibility for it

Satay Sue likes this.

Just to add on a serious note....red light cameras in HK are pretty generous, for that camera to flash you have to have gone through it on red....that said, I hate cameras and if I could find a loophole I'd be trying to wriggle out of 5 points too. It's 5 points for someone who zooms through a redlight with not a care in the world, (minibuses who know where all the cameras are and do it all the time) and it's 5 points for someone who just pushes it a little bit when they're in a hurry and there's obviously no other cars.....it's bollocks, takes out not only extenuating circumtances but also aggravating factors..

I believe that drivers like you are the reason such cameras exist!

If you are looking for someone to blame after you've paid the fine (And banned?) then look no further than the mirror!

You need to pay the fine and be carefully going forwards

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast